Why are Hong Kong people sooooo selfish?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Just you wait till you stop being a student and start working for a living now thats a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Just you wait till you stop being a student and start working for a living now thats a whole new ball game!
    Students! Lazy, stupid, slow walking, inconsiderate, noisy, smelly......

An excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    You do know that HK is small and very crowded, there will be lots of people in city areas, just because your in a hurry do you think they have all stop and let you pass through first.

They were looking at the thing first, wait for your turn, its not that person is going to stand there the whole day just to piss you off. Seems like your always in a hurry and want people to move out your way.

Lighten up and dont let little things like this bug you or you'll just get a heart attack.
    I know that Hong Kong is small and crowded place, and for being objective I also know that "westerners" are not so good at sharing stuff like space. But are the reason that Hong Kong is small and crowded really an excuse for not being kind to each other???? No matter where you come from?
    The thinking have further never appeared to you that I am taller, larger, stronger and are moving faster because of this compared to Hong Kong people. To be honest, this is what exchange student hate when they are coming here. Some are getting so irritated about this that they actually don’t care anymore and are letting Hong Kong people take the crash. Because cant a person move that is smaller I guess I will not being the one that will be hurt.

And further, it is not about being first or not while looking at things in a store. In civilized countries people showing considerations about that other also want to look. Do small guys really need to block all the space...i don't think so!

Quote Originally Posted by Beuze:
    Ouch book your return flight right now ! You are not made for Hong Kong
    I second that motion !

Mettre les voiles, Mircolan

o.k, just kidding...

Mircolan, it sounds like you are very new to Hong Kong, and going through the early adaption phase. We all went through it, and after a few years, you don't even notice the crowds, and eventually, when you cannot beat them, you join em....

I'll just have to remember when I am in Melbourne over Easter, that i don't rush for the lift, block tram/train doors before people exit, queue jump and resist some of the unique HK habits, that I have adopted, ha ha or there might be a gun fight lol.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 02-04-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mircolan:
    I know that Hong Kong is small and crowded place, and for being objective I also know that "westerners" are not so good at sharing stuff like space. But are the reason that Hong Kong is small and crowded really an excuse for not being kind to each other???? No matter where you come from?
    The thinking have further never appeared to you that I am taller, larger, stronger and are moving faster because of this compared to Hong Kong people. To be honest, this is what exchange student hate when they are coming here. Some are getting so irritated about this that they actually don’t care anymore and are letting Hong Kong people take the crash. Because cant a person move that is smaller I guess I will not being the one that will be hurt.

And further, it is not about being first or not while looking at things in a store. In civilized countries people showing considerations about that other also want to look. Do small guys really need to block all the space...i don't think so!

There are differences in behaviour that are annoying no doubt about it (see the many many threads on this on this site of which I have joined in many) but to categorise the whole of the local Hong Kong population as selfish is just a bit of an overstatement don't you think?

This thread is no different to my bumping thread last year or Sophies MTR rant of a few weeks ago. I don't see why this OP is being given such a hard time! S/he is right - people on the streets do not give way; I have been looking at a shoe in a shop and a person pushed their way between me and the shoe (no mean feat!) just so they could answer their phone - they were not even looking at the products!

And we all enjoyed the literary elegance of the umbrella wars .....

Lighten up those who are giving the OP a hard time. S/he just needs to let off some steam. Just like we all do from time to time!

It's not that HK people are selfish, but their behaviour is certainly different to other places. And for example, i am in Singapore right now, and I notice how non-HK-like the people are! No pushing, no bumping - yet Singapore is also full and tiny! I don't think we can use city size as a reason. It's a pure HKesque trait.

But yes - I do agree with those who say - lighten up and let it go. Breathe deeply (but not if you are close to the roadside pollution!); count to ten; learn to adjust and push your way through the crowds if they don't move (and remember to adjust back when you leave !).

Good to see someone that want to help!:)

Quote Originally Posted by lulumay:
    let me help you and hope that you don't think we are soooooooo selfish. its more of a cultural thing.

in your example #1 - how am i suppose to know that the person behind wants to have a look too? all you have to do is ask or wait when i am done then you can move up. if there are 87 people behind me, when do i get to have a look if i move out the way every time. nothing about being selfish.

example #2 - you are assuming that the umbrellas are their to protect us from the rain. not true. we pop them up so we don't get stab in the eye from other umbrellas. don't you know only hong kong people can die from the rain. just get a bigger umbrella.
    But it is acctually all about being selfish. That is all that matters in Hong Kong, I have understand that. All members of the family can be treated kind, but the rest...
    I think further it is very rare to see 87 people cueing up for checking a product in a store. Lets take for example, the breadrack on Welcome. No one will ever move. People don't even think that i also want to check it. And do i really need to ask such a simple think. Cant they just have some consideration?

Maybe it matters where you want to get?

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    doesnt that make you more selfish? using a 3 person silent room for only 2 people?!?! jeeez! you're like wasting a whole seat!

i dont think this is an example of selfishness - jobsworthiness maybe.

I used to think that HK people were selfish too, but sometimes you have to do the same to survive here. It can be construed as selfishness or it can be seen as surviving because as in most big cities, being nice doesnt get you very far...
    Do you want to be a kind person that maybe is far enough...

Further, as the library was almost empty I cant not see my cause of being selfish. I someone else needed the room, I dont think it is to hard for me and my friend to move!

Hmmm, I had a horrible experience in Parknshop. I have lived here for a very long time and was shocked at the attitude of the local guy. It was Sunday and the shop was packed, I was walking and suddenly someone clipped me on my ankle (it was painful) with their trolley wheel. Thinking it was my daughter I turned to tell her off, but it was a youngish guy and he just passed me without an apology. So I asked him to apologize. His replied"you were walking slow". Me " Why didn't you just say excuse me instead of hitting me with the trolley?" Then he said "F**k you and walked off"!!

I couldn't swear back at him as my kids were with me, but I was so angry.

I know not all locals have bad manners like him, but I just wanted to tell you my experience as I am still shocked.

Actually, I have to say that the getting-between-me-and-a-shop-shelf-that-I'm-obviously-looking-at thing is still very annoying. Plus when you ask them to move, they have this look of complete tranquil innocence on their faces, like little darling angels. You KNOW you were in the way, and now you've made it impossible for me to have a public attack of IGS. Grrrr!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast