Food Supplier

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Food Supplier

Know someone who is opening up a restaurant in hk and needs to find some reputable food suppliers (wide range), if anyone knows of someone would appreciate the networking, thanks!

*edit* to be more specific, fresh fruit/veggies and popular meats (beef, chicken)

Last edited by homerpsu; 03-04-2009 at 01:02 PM.

Check the Western Wholesale market (or the closest wholesale market). There is a Eurasian woman there called Anna in the Western Market who supplies many of the Wanchai bars / restaurants.

Forget the name of her company...

Shouldn't the chef already have contacts with suppliers from his last job?

This reminds me of something I wanted to find for a long time.

Where can I buy some flour wholesale? We make our own bread at home and I'm tired of paying $30-$50 for a bag of 500g flour at the supermarkets.

It would be really nice if I could find 3-10kg bags of strong flour for breadmaking at some reasonable price to feed our bread habit.

Would the Western Wholesale market have this? Any other choices?

HC

Quote Originally Posted by homerpsu:
    Know someone who is opening up a restaurant in hk and needs to find some reputable food suppliers (wide range), if anyone knows of someone would appreciate the networking, thanks!

*edit* to be more specific, fresh fruit/veggies and popular meats (beef, chicken)
    I know the owner of a Meat Supplier, supplies great ribs, chops, steaks etc, tried some recently at a bbq and it was fabulous. Our Brit/Yank friends loved it as well. He supplies lots of restaurants. So if its a meat supplier your friend is looking for then pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:

Where can I buy some flour wholesale? We make our own bread at home and I'm tired of paying $30-$50 for a bag of 500g flour at the supermarkets.

It would be really nice if I could find 3-10kg bags of strong flour for breadmaking at some reasonable price to feed our bread habit.

HC
    People have before noted in these forums that high quality Indian flour can be had at various Indian shops around HK pretty cheaply.

HC
    Found this on the internet. Simple Life Home Baking Store 民利烘焙 - 貨品Goods its in Sai Wan Ho
    Last edited by wtbhotia; 03-04-2009 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigga:
    People have before noted in these forums that high quality Indian flour can be had at various Indian shops around HK pretty cheaply.
    I have been to a number of Indian Provision stores around CWB, but I only recall seeing Durum flour there...I do love chapatis, but I was hoping for just normal strong white bread flour. I know that Durum also has high gluten content, but never thought about a loaf with it...I must try that.

I'll look more carefully next time I'm in the area in hopes of finding plain white.

HC

HC - try bakingwarehouse.

Bakingwarehouse

HC
    we tried buying flour in bulk once but we couldn't use it fast enough. we had to throw the whole bag out because of the bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by thundacatchergo:
    we tried buying flour in bulk once but we couldn't use it fast enough. we had to throw the whole bag out because of the bugs.
    Ah, yes the dreaded little guys. They add extra protein to the bread :-)

Luckily (or unluckily) we have a large family and go thru bread and flour very quickly. As for the bugs, good sized air tight containers help a lot. Alternatively, a big freezer or the lower side of a big fridge is also good.

Thank you all for the 2 pointers.
    HC

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast