Combo washer\dryer does dry clothes?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Combo washer\dryer doesn't dry clothes?

My gf and I just moved in to a new apartment which came with a brand new combo washer\dryer (Whirlpool AWF808). The washing function seems fine, but we're not certain if there's something wrong with the dryer. We had items in the drying cycle for over 4 hours and they're not any dryer than when the wash finished. You can easily tell that it's not heating up at all. Is this common for these types of combo units? We've never had one before, so I figured I'd ask here before going to the landlord about it on Monday.

Last edited by goldenegg; 05-04-2009 at 12:17 AM.

How about reading the manual first?

http://whirlpool.com.hk/sc_upload/im...usermanual.pdf

My Washer/dryer combo machine only spin dries, max 1200 rpm after that I still need to hang dry. The machine does not have heater for drying, only for washing where it heats the water up to 95C. Your spin cycle only goes up to 850 rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by kostas:
    How about reading the manual first?

http://whirlpool.com.hk/sc_upload/im...usermanual.pdf
    We know how to use the unit. Do you see anything in the manual that describes the problem we're experiencing? The unit doesn't get hot at all during the drying cycle, so the clothes never get dry. If I'm missing something in the manual that discusses this, please let me know. I've read it a dozen times now and have found nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    My Washer/dryer combo machine only spin dries, max 1200 rpm after that I still need to hang dry. The machine does not have heater for drying, only for washing where it heats the water up to 95C. Your spin cycle only goes up to 850 rpm.
    I'm willing to bet that's probably what ours does as well. Maybe we'll have to invest in a dehumidifier that we'll use specifically for drying clothes.

Thanks for the response!

Quote Originally Posted by goldenegg:
    Maybe we'll have to invest in a dehumidifier that we'll use specifically for drying clothes.
    Thats what I use to dry me clothes.

If like us we didn't get a manual. After call to landlord someone came out and gave it a clean which reduced how long it took but it was still taking a whole day to wash and dry one load. In the end we purchased a separate dryer and just used the washer as a washer. Worked much better and I would never buy a combo for personal use or for a tenant's apartment.

Did you try removing half the clothes before the drying kicks in? Machines that are washer/dryer combo generally cannot wash & dry the same weight - dryer is much more limited.
    I had a washer/dryer in the US and in Europe (which worked fine) but it seems they don't always work too well in HK, especially those that come "fitted" with the place.

rarely use ours but it does heat up and dry the clothes, best if you remove half the load as said earlier

This is the same reason why we bought a separate dryer, intended to dry our clothes efficiently and not using this combo-dryer thing. The combo washer/dryer doesn't work, if it does, it will take you forever in order to dry your laundry around 4 hours or so. And this same 4 hours will only accommodate 2 kilos of load plus resulting to a very crinkled laundry. The manual stated that it can accommodate 5 kilos of load, but I guess that is only good for washing. The drying thing can only accommodate 2 kilos or less -- this results to a moderate dry, not a highly satisfied dry. I tried to dry our clothes using this combo dryer, it just pissed me off! If you are not fund of hanging you laundry that will take you the whole day to dry them, it is worth to get a separate dryer.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast