Why you choose to work in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hmmm...HK is not a place I would really think of in terms of retirement, either. Still, it is a fascinating place and an easy jump off point for Asia in general...so lots going for it. Expats run the gamut from Peak doyens to Sham Shui Po "gone natives". It comes down to preferred lifestyle and money. Lamma is quirky and has some great finds - my partner and I go over for brunch at the Bookwarm a lot. Very cheap rents there and a laid back lifestyle only 20 minutes by ferry from Central or TST. More urban living costs more, but we're reasonably happy at Fa Hui at Prince Edward station - convenient to everything, but green views and flowers for the gardens I miss at home in Victoria, BC. Your friend may enjoy spending a couple of years here, rather than the long term. Health matters...private care is costly here. Have not been impressed with the public system, having come from the much denigrated but generally incomparable Canadian system. Thaliand is supposed to have good facilitities. As another poster said, the cost of living is low there. Stay centre to north for safety. Chiang Mai?

um..
    If you are given a chance to decide your working place, where will u go?

still go to hk?

I loved living/working in Amsterdam (spent 3 years there) and would move back if the right job offer came along; also liked Ireland when I lived there in '97 but I don't like it as much now that there is so much money going around (traffic in Dublin is a mess nowadays, housing is close to Greater London levels). Came to Hong Kong because it's a very convenient hub for working within the Asia-Pac region and it's definitely near the top on my list of places to work. I also lived in the US pre-9/11; however, nowadays I wouldn't want to live there (as a foreigner) but salaries / cost of living can be favorable compared to here (unless you're here on an expat package, of course). For my next move, I'd love to go to Sydney - one of my favourite cities in the world (second to Cape Town but unfortunately the job market is bad over there).

Money's good, tax is low, easy to get around, loads of food and shopping, easy to get on short breaks to the rest of Asia, interesting cultural experience with the whole Chinese thing. Um there are lots more too but thats all I've got time for right now.

living in hk

interesting topic. you guys keep writing other places off because of reasons such as terrorism/security. funny. do you remember who the paymasters for HK are at the moment?
    i like HK and always did. don't know if id like to live there long term because of its uncertain future and other issues.
    it is a world city in several ways and i think what attracts many here is the lure of liberalism in an overal China-esque setting. however. other problems are rife, like construction noise and neighbors from hell: been here for a few months and i believe not more than two days went by without some idiot drilling/hammering/moving the kitchen to the patio. keep all that in mind.

I am here to study Mao. He he he.

see? don't say i didn't warn yall.