Why you choose to work in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wink Why you choose to work in HK?

question stated in the topic.

Why do you choose to work/ live in HK? Is there any special reason that motivate you to choose HK?

I work in HK because of my family here. I cannot choose other cities to stay. But indeed I love HK so I love to stay here.

So how about you? Why you leave your home country to come to HK?

Lower taxes and cheaper made service. For some, it's also a ego trip.

Had an email from a coleague saying...there's this opportunity, you should go for it...and I didn't have time to talk myself out of it before heading out to Calgary to give a speech...next thing I new, the process was underway...trip to HK for an interview, then 6 months of bureaucracy..and get here now! Wanted to rejuvenate a career that was lucrative but getting tedious...certainly have done that, despite a decrease in lifestyle.

expats ages

I just noticed JJexpat lists his age - 50.

I wonder what is the age distribution of the expats in HK ?

A friend of mine from New York wants to move to Hong Kong to retire. His rationale is that it is too cold for his family in New York and New York is as hot and humid as Hong Kong during the summers. With $7.88 HKD conversion rate, he would do much better in HK than in New York. He is in his early 50s and used to teach in college.

So far, I don't have any information to help him to make the decision.
    The only thing that I can relate to him is the health care cost which is a lot better and much cheaper than what he is paying the HMO now there in NY.

What else can I tell him ?

I think it's actually cheaper to live in Florida than live an expat life in HK. Why not consider better for value countries like Thailand or Phillipines.

Florida vs Thailand vs Philipines vs Hong Kong

I lived in Florida before. I definitely won't be cheaper than living in Hong Kong. Note that in US, we need all kind of insurances e.g. home owner, flood, hurricane, automobile, health, etc that you probably don't need to pay without or as much as you do in Hong Kong. Property taxes are much more expensive in Florida than in Hong Kong. Daily food cost is definitely cheaper here in Hong Kong than in Florida. I am comparing places like Orlando/Tampa, Florida which is much cheaper than places in the Gold Coast area (Palm Beach to Miami) vs Hong Kong. Expenses like home owner association fee for condo, gas, utilities, drugs, etc are quite expensive there in Florida. Weather may be better than New York but I think Hong Kong is a lot more comfortable than Florida.

Philipines is definitely out of question because of terrorism and safety there. They did consider Thailand but they still don't think it is safe enough for them there. He has a brother living in Thailand now and they are thinking of moving out to Malayesia. Actually Malayesia is a good choice. I suspect that they may not like the political and social system there. Hong Kong is a lot more civilized.

In Hong Kong, they may be able to live by with their combined Social Security income which is about $3000 USD or ~$23,000 HKD a month if they own their own home. But in Florida, $3000 USD a month is not enough to cover the basic daily expenses. Actually, may be cheaper to live in Toronto, Canada than in Florida if you add up all the costs.

We, in our 30s, probably have a different life style than those about to retire. Our health care needs are much lower than theirs. It is much harder for me to advise them.

Smile

The main reason could be that HK is Asia's business Hub. For finance and Logistics this is the most busiest place. I guess for good bussiness and oppertunity to grow HK is the best Place. But need Hard work and remember hard work always pays one day or the other. That is the cycle of business and hard work. So guess that could be the best stated reason though HK is far expencive than KUL or SIN where i have lived in.

>> remember hard work always pays one day or the other

Don't get confused between hard work and smart work.

I think Singapore would be a better choice to retire than HK, it's more chilled out and you could get a bigger place.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie19:
    I think Singapore would be a better choice to retire than HK, it's more chilled out and you could get a bigger place.
    Ditto, I checked out a friend's penthouse in SGP: 3 bedrooms, 2 bath rooms, 2 rest rooms, lounge and dinning room - 5 mins from MRT, 2 mins from 3 different elite schools, very greeny ... overall sweeeet. oh yeah, they have marble floors through out ... very opulent ...

I think chances of getting a place like that in HK are slim, even with the nicer places, there is a waiting list ...

Oh yeah, the clean(er) air in Singapore also is nice ... IMO HK is good to visit/work for the short term, but to "live" ... hmmm ... *10 seconds thinking music* .... No.

More importantly, on a completely unrelated topic ... I like these animated smilies =>

-DB-
    =)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast