Cancelling PCCW / 12 month rental contract

Closed Thread

Thumbs down Cancelling PCCW / 12 month rental contract

There's a chance I might have to leave HK to return home in the near future and I have a couple of 18 month contracts with PCCW (Mobile, tv, broadband). By the time this happens I'll have had the services for 12 months but cash is incredibly short at the moment and I don't think I'll be able to afford to pay up the remainder of my contracts.

I know it's really not the right thing to do but does anyone know what the worst case scenario is if I just leave the country? I currently pay at 7-11 every month so there is no autopay on my account. I do plan on returning to HK in the future (even if just for a holiday) so I don't want to be arrested upon entering the country, or to have a huge hit on my credit rating or anything.

So can anyone explain the possible consequences of this? And I can then decide on whether or not to pay up.

Also, bonus question:
    I will have stayed in my apartment for the minimum 12 month period by the time I need to go home to the UK however I have been told by friends that I can only give my 1 months notice after the 12 month period, meaning I effectivly have to pay for 13 months rent. Does anyone have any experience with this? I understand it probably comes down to what you can get away with each landlord but again I really won't be able to afford an extra months rent when I won't be living or working here.

Cheers,

Bonus question - yes that correct under a normal contract but explain to your landlord and I am sure he would understand. Doesn't hurt to ask does it.

ON the PCCW side - they really don't care so talking to them will do no good. It is quite possible for you to declare a service stop and return any modems or rented equipment as the bill for the balance will not be arriving until AFTER you leave.. FYI - If you fax the disconnect form the system will auto reply a receipt so they can't say they didn't know.

We came back after a year and when calling to connect they informed us we owed them money ( only 149buck ) as they had sent a bill AFTER we left. EVEN THOUGH we had asked them to advise us before. So ( whisper in your ear ) ---- if you just leave they can chase you, which they won't. If you come back, then don't use PCCW or if you do use the other half's name or a company name. They will have no idea its you. PCCW are owed shed loads by people running off, don't be worried about it. Richard Li can afford it with the billions he just pocketed.

But you didn't hear that from me !!

I have one question. I will leave HK for a about 6-10 months and I don't want to pay around 1k monthly for my NOW TV, Internet and Blackberry service, which I don't use. Can I just cancel my HSBC credit card and thats it, leaving the normal account running?

It rather depends whether you want to deal with the debt-collectors when you come back...

Quote Originally Posted by claashk:
    I have one question. I will leave HK for a about 6-10 months and I don't want to pay around 1k monthly for my NOW TV, Internet and Blackberry service, which I don't use. Can I just cancel my HSBC credit card and thats it, leaving the normal account running?
    surely this is not a real question?