Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TS888

International shipping companies/movers

Closed Thread

International shipping companies/movers

I know this has been brought up before but for the life of me I can't seem to find the threads on this forum...

Anyhoo... I was just wondering if anyone could recommend any good shipment companies for transporting goods (e.g. clothes, books, furniture etc) internationally... I'm not sure where I'm going yet so I'm looking for companies that operate globally.

If anyone finds the threads similar to this one please point me towards 'em otherwise thanks in advance.

those threads that you find when scrolling down this page, under similar threads ?

I sometimes get the feeling that the engine matching threads is actually better than the real search engine Or try goole with site:geoexpat.com

Asian Tigers

I am currently surrounded by boxes being packed expertly by Asian Tigers. They unpacked for me when we moved here and are now packing to move me to Singapore. They are really great guys, professional and clean. They even bought me mcdonalds back when then returned form a lunch break when they were unpacking because they knew i hadn't been out !!!

We got quotes from Crown and asian tigers and crown were almost double the cost.....

On moving here from the UK we used Allied Pickfords, so far they have been great. They packed up everything for us in the UK, helped us with organising insurance etc etc, and when they delivered the air freight they even unpacked it again for me. They've always been on time, if not early for appointments, which is another plus point for me!

So I can definitely recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    those threads that you find when scrolling down this page, under similar threads ?
    Yes... they are very helpful... but unfortunately I didn't have those before I decided to start this thread because I couldn't find that info to begin with....

Thanks everyone for your suggestions... I was after somebody to come in a pack because (a) I can't be bothered to do it myself and (b) I guess it's better, insurance wise.

Yes we also used Asian Tigers and they were brilliant.

Just a question re Asian Tigers - how do they charge? By the square/cube metres/feet or are you suppose to hire a whole container regardless of how much you have to ship?

asian tigers

Unfortunately I am unable to tell you how much it was, as it was paid by the company.

I guess u can have a full container which will be faster to be shipped. If you only filled partial container, you will have to wait for the company to have other clients to fill up the container before they can ship it off.

For our move from the US, two comments -- All the companies quoted a rate for 20 foot and 40 foot container. The break is based on both volume and weight. The cost of a 20 foot was around US$7500 from all movers, excluding insurance and any special crating. A 40 foot is ~$200-$300 more. And yes, two sea kayaks in your shipment can suck up enough cube to push you into a 40 footer...

Second comment, regards Asia Tigers -- I had them at the top of my list after reading through the recommendations here on GeoExpat. Their office here in Hong Kong provided excellent service. Unfortunately their agent in Oregon was hopelessly slow, unorganized and unresponsive. We ended up being forced to choose another company because we couldn't get a quote back from Asian Tigers in time to submit to my company.

I let the HK AT office know why they lost the quote. I wouldn't avoid Asian Tigers for this, but if you want to use them for a move from the US, it might be worth keeping all your communication routed through the Hong Kong office, and let them marshal their agent.

Last edited by TS888; 28-05-2009 at 09:03 AM.
    MW1 likes this.