Where to buy home alarm system & crime in N.T.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie yeoh:
    I installed a home security system. It comes with cameras, motion detectors, door sensors, etc. Cost was HK$10,000.
    So you spent $10k against the remote possibility of being burgled? I don't have much more than $10k worth of stealable stuff in my flat, all together...

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    So you spent $10k against the remote possibility of being burgled? I don't have much more than $10k worth of stealable stuff in my flat, all together...
    He's gotta protect that MacBook...

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie yeoh:
    I installed a home security system. It comes with cameras, motion detectors, door sensors, etc. Cost was HK$10,000. It even calls my mobile if the alarm goes off. And I can monitor the home online when I am traveling.
    The sight of a camera staring at you at the front and back door makes a would-be burglar stay away. I reviewed the security DVR sometimes and it's funny to see salesmen turn away when they spot the cameras with glowing LED's.
    That's a definite deterrent. And it gives me piece of mind.
    Better than my dog, which tends to lick the burglar instead.
    Hi Ronnie, Where did you get that? Which company installed it?

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    But it isn't necessarily so much the value of your property - I don't have much anyone would be interested in - but rather peace of mind that when you are alone in the countryside you can sleep easily. Lots of burglaries take place whilst someone is in the house. That is what bothers me. Frankly, when I'm not there worst that would happen is they'd nick my TV and laptop. Worse things happen at sea....

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    is there that many burgluries in HK?
    where do you live that they can break in?.
    It's ironic really. In the UK, you're typically safer in the city than the country but here its vice versa. I was talking to my neighbours the other day and several of them were saying that they don't know anyone who lives in Saikung that hasn't been burgled at one time or other. I don't think it is that aggressive though...mostly petty theft...but that is only my impression. I've been told that there are lots of illegal tree cutters living in the hills who break in for food, for example. I really do live in the middle of nowhere though...and am often alone so I worry more.

Hey Alexandra,
    I was poking around the "Explore Sai Kung" website (linked from the GeoExpat Sai Kung forum, thank you) and found this page...

Crime Breakers

...which at the bottom has a link to a .pdf file of burglar alarm companies assembled by the HK police.

Tony