Construction Noise

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

>> They start as early as 6am and continue on as late as midnight sometimes

Definately a case for a police complaint. I'd think your neigbours would have complained by now ..

Quote Originally Posted by Happydude
    what i want to know is why they have to use jackhammers whenever they renovate anything?
    dont they use any other tools?
    that's most likely a powertool they use especially to break up tiles. i know exactly the one you're talking about. just recently the apartments above AND below me were renovating at the same time. one saturday i made the fatal mistake of being soooooo hungover and well... it was not a good day.

still, its a give and take thing. i have dj stuff in my place, if they want to renovate on a saturday then i'll just turn my music up really loud on a sunday for a few hours. they got the point and now we have some kind of weird mutual respect going on. they knock the renovating off at 7 every night and take it easy on the weekends and i keep my volume turned down...

makes you wonder why they build apartments with such wafer-thin sound insulation between floors doesn't it?

thanks everyone for taking part in this thread, especially knowitall and tex. no, i'm not your husband heh but i sure know how he feels and wish you good health. it's terrible how arrogant and inconsiderate these "individuals" are. i refuse to call them people because the inference of humanity denotes caring for those around you and treating them as you'd like to be treated yourself. these are less than animals we're dealing with.

reason is a relative thing, i admit. however, the example you gave is just as unreasonable as tormenting your neighbors for no good reason.

my building is 20 years old. don't know what percentage are long term owners, but it does look middle class and most of them are definitely losers, i can tell you that much.

thanks for the pointers. you said two weeks out of a year...that's still bad. it shouldn't happen at all if you ask me. i bought an apartment as-is because i liked it and took time to look for it. didn't buy some piece of crap bargain and then forced it into becoming the taj mahal.

as you can tell, i have zero tolerance for this problem, but rightly so coz i'm like the quietest neighbor you never had: housekeeping at a red roof inn actually asked me once if i was indeed staying at the room due to it being so clean and made up every time they went in there.

and yes, platitudes and encouragement will be eagerly accepted. i am growing bitter.

i also salute DJ there for taking a stand and socking it to em. well done!

Quote Originally Posted by cerberus
    i also salute DJ there for taking a stand and socking it to em. well done!
    haha thanks... you have to wonder about a place when:
    (1) people think the sounds associated with a neitherbour renovating an apartment every twelve months is fine
    (2) walking down most streets requries a set of industrial strength earmuffs for the construction noise
    (3) same goes for listening into any local conversation on the MTR

... but concerts are not allowed at HK Stadium etc because of the 'distrubing noise'. Come on people... concerts might be loud, but at least they've got a bit of rythm to them

Cerberus my dear, you're not alone...

I'm actually beginning to think me & hubby have a construction curse! Seems to follow us wherever we go.

In Malaysia (KL) we lived in a brand new highrise & there was loads of noisy construction inside. Then to top it off, our fab view of the petronas towers was taken away with the erection of 2 highrise buildings next door...more construction noise...& alot of it! Total nightmare to say the least.

Now we're in hkg, and we still have not escaped the renovation curse...argggg!

We thought (naively) living in a lowrise with a more developed neighborhood would help escape the problem.

Nope! Lived here 12mths and have endured 10 months of renovations from 6 apts.

I believe it was quiet around Christmas & chinese new year...that was it.

The latest reno. is still on going after 4 mths.

Kill me now.....please

Like yourself we're pretty quiet people, but we have on occasion raised hell in this place. It does no good.

Our biggest issue is'nt so much the noise (although it's driving me bonkers), but the hrs they are allowed to work. The workers always break the rules and we end up furious and frustrated.

We've tried everything...called the security guards, bldg management, police, construction supervisor & even spoke to an owner once.

Never does any good. They are constantly given warnings, but these morons don't care. They just keep on working past 7pm M-S & and sneak in on Sundays as well.

And BTW, can someone tell me...
    whats the point of bldg management having house rules (working hrs 9-6pm M-F & Sat 9-1pm) if they can't/won't even inforce them???

And TEX, I agree with ya...we deserve some sort of house warming party (no gifts please!) from these home owners.
    Especially this guy above me who's taken 4 mths to renovate his 3000 ft apt.. My husband tells me the place is sweeeet. (err he quickly inspected the place while yelling at the workers to get out! haha)

Send the owners committee a nicely worded notice threatening to sue them.

If I only thought it would work...

Construction noise is a part of living in Hong Kong. It's never going to change with the importance of the property sector and the generally poor maintenance/construction on older flats. Walls are wafer thin here. When the noise first started, I thought it was my next door neighbor. Only after some investigating did I realize it was three floors up and on the other side of the building. Of course, now it is my next door neighbor as well as my neighbor right beneath me... I am afraid it is only going to get worse, now that property values are creeping back up and owners are incentivized to upgrade. I would move but I am sure it would follow me.

I've been living through not only demolition noise but construction dust and toxic fumes. I've also felt completely helpless -- go to the building management and they are toothless, go to the police and they are worthless. The police officer I spoke to told me that my neighbors can do renovations until 11pm! WTF!

Solution: half a Valium and two shots of bourbon before bed

yo people, i hear your pain. Kiki, that's just insane. 10 months?! what the...no words can describe this. when you talked to the owner, what did they have to say? did they apologize or show any remorse for making your life miserable? i am terribly sorry this has followed you from KL. maybe it's a pan east asia thing? forgive me for sounding prejudiced, but i believe it's a direct result of lacking in socialization. when there's no "other person" projection imbued in a culture, so-called people live only for themselves. you see it a lot here, supposedly educated and polite individuals treating others, who've done them no wrong, as if they were thin air. this is a sickness.

saltwater, i find loud music playing equally bad if unprovoked. in your case: 100 percent OK, but generally uncalled for. i need the world to be quiet (which of course means im an idiot for moving to HK).

i disagree with some comments: the cops work. they do stop them as was the case with me once, and that was during working hours (noise levels were too high). yes buildings here are of distinct fecal quality, but at least you can call 999 and they will show up. maybe this can be proven wrong, haven't been here long enough.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast