Construction Noise

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Construction Noise

Following up on my reply to another thread and being a newbie, here's something that's probably been discussed here many times: the incessant noise from neighbors who think walls in apt buildings are a pottery class utilizing silly putty.
    been here for a couple of months and not more than a few days have been noise-free throughout that time. the noise is insane. as you know, in an HK building one of these morons could be renovating twenty floors below you and it'd still sound like they were inside your bathroom. is this a city of lunatics or what? are they like obsessed with this inhuman habit?
    i mean, it gets so bad, you can't even talk on the phone, watch tv or concentrate on anything.

called the cops a couple of times and they came, issued warnings, but told me it's allowed between 7-7, even on saturdays.

what other options does one have? go down there with a kitchen knife and start hacking?

Unfortunate fact of life ! construction noise

Unfortunately, considering the cooped up way we live in HK, I believe construction noise is a fact of life.
    Nothing much u can do as it is allowed between certain hours, as you say.

Why do u think 200000 people went to see old animal bones recently ? They were all escaping construction noise in airconditioned comfort on a hot day !

Not much option to be honest.

7-7 is fair game.

By the way https://secure1.info.gov.hk/police/e...laintNoise.htm

report online

hey guys, thanks for writing back. i don't think 7-7 is fair game at all! what if someone's home ill, or retired, or just has enough money to stay home and not work? what, they're not supposed to watch tv/talk/write/do anything but listen to sub-humans repeatedly try to hack their crappy hole in the wall until it resembles some make-believe castle?
    this accepting attitude has always been humanity's downfall, im afraid. however, i appreciate your input. however, it doesn't bode well for settling in HK long-term and helping improve it (which i prob won't), nor does it assist in increasing the city's repute. there are places in the world (shock! horror!) where you need a permit to conduct major renovations, there's noise level limitations, and when permitted, work may only take a few hours per day, not a freaking twelve, for heaven's sake, how can you say that's reasonable?!

and i'm not even venting. this is sitting relaxed sunday morning, when it's quiet. no worries, tomorrow...another week, another bout in hell.

I meant fair game as in its allowed by the law.

The trick with this is to find a proper neighbourhood. We live in a block that has been around for 25+ years and has mostly long term "middle class" residents. I think about 80%+ in our block are owners and we probably have one or two noisy weeks a year. Even those, our management controls by having its own set of rules.

In my time in HK (12+ years) I can safely say, that I've not really been affected by noise...

Are you by any chance in a brand new building? They should be avoided. (Yeah, hindsight is 20-20 .. )

>> how can you say that's reasonable?!

The word reasonable is all relative. What can I say? Offer you some false comforting words? Nah .. not worth it. In New York, some legislators are now considering it reasonable to target people with brown skin for "random searches" ... its all relative.

You might want to take a look at the Noise control ordinance ..

http://www.epd.gov.hk/epd/english/en...omestic_2.html
    (Last couple of paragraphs might be of help) and pursue this with the relevant authorities. (Although I have a feeling the construction will be completed by the time they get around to reviewing your complaints).

Hey KIA I'm curious about the SSL cert on that site you linked (https://secure1.info.gov.hk/police/e...laintNoise.htm). I'm sure it's safe (info.gov.hk) but the SSL cert was issued by Hongkong Post e-Cert CA1. I'm used to denying all non-verisign certs; I was hoping you would let me know of trustworty ones I might run in to while browsing over here in HK, thanks.

And on topic: UGGH! There is some sort of construction or renovation (perhaps a lumber mill? ) going on in the flat right above me. They start as early as 6am and continue on as late as midnight sometimes. It's not so bad for me because I'm out most of the day, but my roommate is on a much later shift than I, and he has to try to sleep through it.

It's been going on for weeks now and I'm starting to wonder if we should contact someone.

cerebrus, if i didn't know better i'd swear you are my husband! he's hardly ever privy to the constant noise we experience, and still he goes ape on the management when he hears it. i am at home, stuck on bedrest and can not tell you how many times i've had day long headaches due to this menace.

KIA's advice about older buildings isn't true in our case. ours is on the older side, probably 50% owner occupied, and the renovations are non-stop. i think these happy home makers should atleast invite the whole building for a gracious house warming party after they've burdened us for months at a time.

>> and the renovations are non-stop

I'd bet it is a transaction intensive building and not middle class.... i.e. there is a huge number of speculative transactions involved.

Keep in mind .. Hong Kong home owners, bankers and real estate agents are partying like its 1997.

what i want to know is why they have to use jackhammers whenever they renovate anything?
    dont they use any other tools?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast