termites?!

Closed Thread

termites?!

so i've noticed termites flying around my apt. about a week ago, i noticed one flying and swatted it thinking it was just a regular bug. a few days later while showing, i saw three flying in my tub...killed them. once i was done drying myself, i noticed a set of wings in my towel...didnt' see the termite and thought nothing of it. tonight, i went into my kitchen and noticed a few set of wings in the tub...found the termite struggling in the drain.

how did i determine it was a termite? google! apparently it seems to be a swarmer termite...so being that i've seen a few around, i have to imagine that it's either the start of a problem, or continuation of one.

that last thing i'd want is for my furniture to be infested...and obviously as a homeowner myself, i'd want my tenant to tell me.

the question is - is it the landlord or my responsibility to take care of this? it's a 10 yr old building, and as i understand it, termites will eat into concrete - so it's quite possible there's an infestation somewhere in this building?

It's not necessarily an infestation because they normally take flight at this time of year (May) and you will find them flying around your lights and dropping wings everywhere. Best prevention is to keep your windows closed on the days they are swarming. I've seen them in the air, always in May, for a few years now and not yet had an infestation.

In fact here is a thread from last May on the same thing: http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread27337.html

Last edited by Pekkerhead; 21-05-2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: added link

We were outside in the early evening last week when a swarm appeared. The air was thick with them for about 30-45 minutes, then they just went away. This evening again, and they managed to get in the apartment this time (don't know how, but since this place isn't exactly air tight I'm not going to stress over it). My wife doesn't take it as well as I do: she just about burned out the motor in the vacuum cleaner this evening, and the whole place smells of spray insect killer.

biocycle site has some good info - go to their pest management site
    under services and you'll see termite info and control

BioCycle (Hong Kong) Limited - Ecological Pest & Termite Management

i've been battling them myself tonight... YUCK! i don't even think i'll be sleeping in my bedroom. they seem concentrated in my bedroom and our ensuite. it's awful! but my kids' room right next door seems to be ok. i may be bunking in with the kids tonight!