Shopaholic support in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Shopaholic support in Hong Kong

Does anyone know if we have a support group for shopaholic in Hong Kong? I have a friend who are in big trouble right now...
    Thanks.

Is this serious? Well, I guess she will stop buying things when the money runs out, and problem solved.

I think it's a very real problem for a lot of people (he says as he scans Ebay )

My problem is the space is running out!

More money comes every month, but my flat stays the same size

Last edited by Bungle; 27-05-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bungle:
    I think it's a very real problem for a lot of people (he says as he scans Ebay )

My problem is the space is running out!

More money comes every month, but my flat stays the same size
    Move to australia. Perfect solution - less money, fewer shops, more space.

Hi Friendinneed,

I think your friend need to see a therapist. She is addicted to shopping, it is a drug as alcohol or video games for other. A therapist will help her to better understand the origin of her problem.

She can ask her doctor for a recommendation. Where she is living? I can ask someone if she know a good therapist in her area.

Good luck.

Thanks for your replies... she should be seeing a therapist. but she is so sick (in term of being addicted) that she doesn't see there is any problem with her and she refuses to listen to the therapist.. meanwhile she continue to shop (for very expensive stuffs)...

Quote Originally Posted by Friendinneed:
    Thanks for your replies... she should be seeing a therapist. but she is so sick (in term of being addicted) that she doesn't see there is any problem with her and she refuses to listen to the therapist.. meanwhile she continue to shop (for very expensive stuffs)...
    Until she admits she has a problem then theres no helping her really as she see's what she's doing as perfectly normal in her eyes.

The only thing you can do is be there for her as and when she realises she has a problem, The more you bring up the subject the more she's going to be defensive and probably comfort shop to relieve her unhappiness in the first place so its a vicious cycle.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The first step is for her to admit that she has a problem and to decide that it is time to do something about it. Till that happens, you can't really help her. She has low self-esteem and may have other problems such as drinking, eating and impulsive-consumption disorders.

BTW, the condition is called oniomania (from Greek onios = "for sale", coined by German psychiatrist Emil Kraepelin). 'Shopaholic' sounds like someone who shops a lot for booze then drinks it or shops while drunk.