Bel-AIR

Closed Thread

Bel-AIR

Hey,

First time writer, long time reader.

So - In HK from September 1st 2009 for long term with wife and 2 kids. If anyone can address the following please send answers. (I have all the web sites, now looking for inside/local knowledge)

* I have looked through ALL the real estate web pages. I want to know how much I can get a 4 bedroom apartment at Bel Air for? How hard can I negotiate on price? (It looks like there are about 250 apartments empty in that development)

* Waiting times for Kellet School and Canadian School (Neither with Corpororate Debenture, just family/personal variety) Have already applied for places at both for Jan 2010.

* Are the ESF schools OK? The class sizes seem HUGE.

* Is 20 000 HKD enough for family of four to include: food (expat - ish), basic bills, maid etc. Basically everything EXCEPT rent. For those of you from London, I am guessing that expat HK food is about the same price as Waitrose in Central London.

* Are there supermarkets - walking distance from or in/close to Bel Air.

* Time and cost of travel to Central (around lunch time and then about 10 .30 PM ish) via a/ cab b/ public transport from Bel Air.

Thanks Guys & Gals.

Homer J

First, why Bel Air? Small flats. A 4 bed is really a 2 bed with 2 closets.
    ESF Kennedy is a great school. Much written on it already if you search.
    Is 20K everything except rent to include the school fees? As these run 7K + per kid, there will not be much left.
    Supermarket at Cyberport.
    Plenty of buses to Central <$10. Cab <$60.

I dont think Bel-air is great. There are others....

Quote Originally Posted by SELLMYSTUFF:
    First, why Bel Air? Small flats. A 4 bed is really a 2 bed with 2 closets.
    ESF Kennedy is a great school. Much written on it already if you search.
    Is 20K everything except rent to include the school fees? As these run 7K + per kid, there will not be much left.
    Supermarket at Cyberport.
    Plenty of buses to Central <$10. Cab <$60.
    Hiya - thanks for reply.
    Yeah - I meant 20k EXCLUDING - school fees, rent & entertainment.
    What other buildings in Pok Fu Lam - Royalton? Belchers? You reckon I should try Repulse Bay then?

Many thanks

HomerJ

Quote Originally Posted by apple&dog:
    I dont think Bel-air is great. There are others....
    Hiya
    Thanks for reply.

I guess in Pok Fu Lam it is Bel Air, Royalton and Belchers?
    Any more thoughts from anyone about how much a four bedroom will cost (rent) in a decent building somewhere between Pok Fu Lam and Repulse Bay? I know what the asking prices are..just want to know how hard a deal I can strike.

-HomerJ

Hi Homer

Sometimes when you ask for information, you will get an useless question back like "Why Bel-Air?"

Anyway, Smaller 4 bedrooms - 1900 sq ft - around 55K and the bigger ones - 2300 sq ft - around 75K. 3 bedrooms from 1550 to 1700 sq ft would be less than 50K. Repulse Bay would be more expensive...

See if this link works...

Hope this helps..

Cheers

Last edited by back2HK; 31-05-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Quote Originally Posted by back2HK:
    Hi Homer

Sometimes when you ask for information, you will get an useless question back like "Why Bel-Air?"

Anyway, Smaller 4 bedrooms - 1900 sq ft - around 55K and the bigger ones - 2300 sq ft - around 75K. 3 bedrooms from 1550 to 1700 sq ft would be less than 50K. Repulse Bay would be more expensive...

See if this link works...

Hope this helps..

Cheers
    Hi

Thanks very much.
    Now THAT is a helpful link.

-HomerJ

Hi,
    We just moved to Bel Air last month. It's great, especially if you have small children. You have to think that, with your monthly rent, you will be getting basically a club along with it. So you wouldn't need to join a club in HK for activities for the kids. They have dance lessons, swim lessons, art lessons....indoor/outdoor pool, indoor/outdoor play areas, tennis courts, basketball courts, snooker.....the key to the indoor stuff is that when it is rainy season, you will have places to take the kids. Kennedy is lovely, and class size is 30, no bigger than most UK schools. ESF test results have been on the high end of English test results. The thing to think about with other developments nearby is facilities offered, and the rain thing. We saw loads of other apartments in Pok Fu Lam with slightly larger square footage but barely any facilities, none indoor. Bel Air also has bus stops just outside that take you to Central, Kowloon, Aberdeen, Causeway Bay, Stanley....all for a fraction of a cab cost, all air-conditioned.