Living on a boat

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by London2HK:
    Wow I had no idea you got boats like that!

Sounds very luxurious, does it feel like you are on a boat (wooshy) when you are in there or is it quite still ? As I get seasick very easily...what about when its really windy? Is it a bit scary?
    I love the idea of living in a boat, it must be quite the conversation starter !
    Most of the time you would have no idea you are floating - it's very stable. My mum gets terrible sea sickness (the trip to Macau, for example, was very unpleasant for her and I think those cats are great) but she had no problems whatsoever when she came to stay. Every so often, another boat passes by outside and you get the wash and move a little - just enough to notice but not enough to make anything move/fall over (even balanced items like my nearly empty shampoo standing upside down in the bathroom).

When typhoons come through it gets abit more exciting. We add ropes and pull off from the jetty abit - yes, the boat moves then but we have sat through several 8's and a 9 without damage (but difficult to sleep!).

And oh yes, sure is a conversation starter!

Quote Originally Posted by timklip:
    are there any special considerations regarding banks and financing? (Unfortunately I'm dreaming a little dream as my wife will NEVER be convinced to live on a boat...and i've shown her the above post!)
    I have no idea re banks and financing as we purchased outright, but the previous owner had a mortgage so you seem to be able to get them.

Re your wife - that's easy - just take her aboard one. Most people have the most incredible preconceptions that are so far from reality, and most boats are so much nicer than land-based accommodation, that the the normal response I have had from everyone who has come aboard is "wow, if I'd realised it was like this I would have got one myself"!

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Wowzer, just hearing that part put me off .
    Depends where. In Aberdeen For example it can be as low as 3K/month...GC, DB are more expensive.

How is power, water, internet and sewage organized?

I noticed this from Moving in 07 on another thread

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Indeed. And given that the contents of our loos go directly out into it I certainly don't want it coming back......!!!!
    In Marinas in the UK power and water are connected at the berth and you pay the same way as everyone else. Presumably t'internet is the same here.. is that right Movingin07 or are you on a community wireless set up?

Also if anyone fancies trying it out... or just being nosey

HomeExchange.com™ - Listing #73853 - 4 Bedroom Houseboat Living in Discovery Bay, Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by existenz:
    How is power, water, internet and sewage organized?
    Power, water, phone come via shore connections. So completely same as a house.

Sewage is supposed to go into a holding tank that is then pumped out and disposed of ... actually pretty much all the boats just send it over the side as it's simpler!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Power, water, phone come via shore connections. So completely same as a house.

Sewage is supposed to go into a holding tank that is then pumped out and disposed of ... actually pretty much all the boats just send it over the side as it's simpler!
    aaiiiyyyyyaaaahhh

Really? I hope that was a joke

Quote Originally Posted by smelly:
    aaiiiyyyyyaaaahhh

Really? I hope that was a joke
    Not a joke. You only have to look over the side in low tide to see what comes down the river - rubbish, debris, other things I won't mention on a "family" site. At least my additions are biodegradable. And there is abundant fish life in the marina.