Ye Olde toilette water rumour

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What a fascinating thread! I'm pretty sure our loos on the boat are flushed by fresh water because whenever the turn the water off, the loos stop flushing.... so I guess we are in contravention of the law. Ho hum. Not like we are so far from the sea either ..... ... but I'm not sure I want any of the marina water inside our boat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TS888:
    I am doubly stunned and amazed that someone reb-blobbed me because I did not initially believe this was true.

It's not like I responded to YOUR POST and claimed you were wrong, fer chrissakes. And seriously, check some of my other posts -- I know how to offend. It's not the blobbing that bothers me; it's lazy, unimaginative blobbing. You keep this up, you'll be just like that little boy who cried "Wolf!"
    I just gave you a green dot to offset against this red one. Not only is this thread as refreshing as the sea breeze, it's also very informative. I'd just learned something new today and had been amused at the same time..So thanks for posting!
    Last edited by OZTOHK; 02-06-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    It is a criminal offence to use fresh water to flush your toilet. From the Waterworks Regulation, Cap102A, Regulation 12:

The reason HK has so many reservoirs is that in the days of the cold war the authorities wanted HK to be self-sufficient in fresh water. This is very hard to do with so many people in such a small area - hence the justification for using sea water for flushing (and water cooled air-conditioning for that matter). There was water rationing not that long ago. However, at some point the number of people grew to such a level that this was not sustainable, and an agreement was reached with the mainland to supply much of HK's fresh water, which they do today.
    I just had an Arnold Rimmer moment with your post...

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

It would be good if other countries could follow HK's 'seawater for flushing' method, instead of wasting/flushing potable water down the toilet.

ah hah- I always suspected this. Especially before we had a helper and the salt from the evaporated water would crust up around the top of the tank. (eewww!)

Quote Originally Posted by OZTOHK:
    I just gave you a green dot to offset against this red one. Not only is this thread as refreshing as the sea breeze, it's also very informative. I'd just learned something new today and had been amused at the same time..So thanks for posting!
    Ditto.....

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    ... but I'm not sure I want any of the marina water inside our boat!!!
    In general terms, it is much preferable to keep the marina outside of the boat. Or so I'm led to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by TS888:
    In general terms, it is much preferable to keep the marina outside of the boat. Or so I'm led to believe.
    Indeed. And given that the contents of our loos go directly out into it I certainly don't want it coming back......!!!!

News flash! I pulled out the washer, and stuffed my head in behind the toilet to get a better look. Without a doubt, the toilet has a separate water supply.

Now I'm working up the courage to taste the water, just to absolutely satisfy my curiosity.

If you do that I recommend a stiff shot of vodka to chase it!