NSW Australian Drivers Licence into HK

Closed Thread

NSW Australian Drivers Licence into HK

Has anyone converted a NSW Australian drivers licence to a HK one lately?

I notice on the app, it says issue date.. the nsw licences do not have this..

Do they put up a fight and reject the application or do they overlook this?

Thanks!

you need to apply for an exemption to get a HK licence.
    check out the transport department.

I got my HK license (car and bike) with my VIC Australian license. Same issue. I had to contact VicRoads (not sure what it is in NSW). They were very helpful and they faxed a document which stated the issue date of my license.

Not bad considering I'm not even Australian

Give it as shot!

If my memory serves me correctly, when I put my form in that they didnt actually care about this. Most important is to have your licnce with you so that they can run the check with the RTA before transferring it over.

To be honest, it was a pretty easy process, so no need to stress about it.

If you don't have your DL with you, a letter from your licencing authority confirming the dates that you have held a licence is sufficient

Will keep watching this thread! Did you all pay for the international license before leaving Australia or just did it with your current Australian license? I recall last time we purchased "international" license but HK only wanted the Australian one and didn't care. It was only about A$10 to purchase though.

I have my full Australian Aussie licence (NSW) went in yesterday and they did not say a word, but i asked just encase so it would not get delayed, and she said not to worry because I had my passport!?

Anyone know if HK motorbike licences can be converted into NSW Australia bike licence? without the tests!? I just started the 5 month mission to get the bike licence and found out HK is not recognized! ?
    Kind Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by jereb:
    she said not to worry because I had my passport!?
    The reason they want the issue date is because of the rule that says you must have lived in the country that issued the licence for more than a certain period around when it was issued (as a check that you somehow didn't just buy it I guess). If your licence is issued by the country where you have citizenship and have clearly spent much of your life then it isn't an issue.

I wondered the same when I got mine because I couldn't provide any documents to prove that I was resident in the UK during the 6 months around when my licence was issued (many years ago since UK licences only expire on your 70th birthday), but as with you it was no problem at all with my UK passport.