lease issues... do we have any rights???

lease issues... do we have any rights???

We have been living in our apartment for 3 months are new to Hong Kong. The guy upstairs works shift work and often leaves his dogs by themselves at which point they cry and bark non stop until the morning when he comes home. Basically we are dealing with this from about midnight until 5am at least once a week

We have called the police 4 times now and they come pretend to take notes and tell me they can't find the issue dog.

I'm sick of feeling like I have no rights in this country and am constantly being taken advantage of. Surely its not legal that this dog can bark so much? Obviously the police aren't going to help the silly white foreigners and we still have 9 months left on our lease. How can we get help to deal with this issue? Surely we have some rights legally and don't have to put up with this

We have tried the management board that looks after our block of units and they are useless too

Have you tried approaching your neighbor with the dogs? If he's a local, maybe try to engage a local friend to help with the communication. He may not realize the dogs are bothering you, or may not even have considered the possibility. Local cultural norms are much different than the west; it's common for people to do things which you find annoying as hell, and have them be completely surprised that it bothers you. But people here are also good-hearted, and often once they meet you and you get inside "the circle" they'll be more considerate.

Also, don't hit your neighbor over the head with the problem right out of the gate. Small talk and building a bit of a relationship first will make his cooperation more likely. As I said, he may never have considered that the dogs bother you, even if he knows they bark.

If your neighbor isn't receptive to taking some action, go back to the police. If you are not getting satisfaction from the patrol officers, move up to a supervisor. HK police are generally very helpful.

PS: Also, breathe... The first few months here can be tough, but it gets better. Much better, most people find. HK is a great place once you get into the rhythm.

Last edited by TS888; 09-06-2009 at 07:04 AM.

Consider getting the SPCA involved if it sounds like the animals are in distress. Their hotline claims to be able to offer advice on the situation you are in anyway.

Approaching the people may not work either, in my experience. There may be some short-lived improvement, but many people just don't care and will counter your complaint with "This is Hong Kong", meaning both that HK is noisy anyway and that you're just a foreigner whose well-being is of little consequence.

The locals simply put up with each other's noise, enduring years of sleeplessness because they are too scared to talk to each other.

You may as well move. Try to get a place on the top floor. Or get earplugs. Sorry if I sound cynical, but I think that's how it is. I've lived in too many noisy places with people who couldn't care less if they disturb their neighbours.

Basically, the easiest way to handle this case is to talk to your neighbour and let him aware of the situation. In most cases, the owner will do something about it. If that doesn't work, get the estate management involved (assumes you are staying in a private apartment) and they will handle it for you. In most cases, if you estate allows pet dogs, there is a clause saying that all pet owners should keep minimal disturbance to neighbours and the pet dogs will need to go if certain number of valid complains/incidents were received by the management office.