Chop Sockey

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chop Sockey

Hi there, it's my brother's 40th birthday soon and he has just told me that he would like some HK film memorabilia particularly related to HK chop sockey films ie martial arts, Bruce Lee etc.

Where can I find a shop that sells these things? What should I get that would make a good present for him? Any ideas very much appreciated as I have less than 2 weeks so that I can post it all to the UK in time!

Thank you!

There used to be a Bruce Lee Cafe but I think its gone. There was talk of building a Bruce Lee Museum.
    Why don't you just get some DVDs and books and maybe some martial arts gear specifically gear oriented towards Wing Chun kung fu.

Did you ask the same question in HK Magazine?

They suggested you try the following places:

Fine Arts Studion
    203A Hollywood Rd
    Sheung Wan

Sino Center
    1/F
    582-592 Nathan Rd
    Mongkok

And Temple St Night Market.

There is a shop in the Stanley market selling some pretty cool Bruce Lee t-shirts.

Thanks!

KIA - No, it wasn't me but I'll check those places out.

My brother's in town, so I thought I'd revive this thread again....just to see if anyone else has any suggestions for HK film memorobilia.

ps We found cool Bruce Lee T-shirts in Stanley Market, so thanks Baron!

Also, any places to buy Robots?!!

Last edited by DAQUIRI; 06-12-2006 at 08:49 AM.

take him on a tour:

41 Cumberland Road, Kowloon Tong - Bruce Lee's old house, then subsequently owned by another chop sockey star called Alexander Fu Sheng (he was killed in a car crash on Clearwater Bay Road back in the 80's - hence why people consider the house to have VERY BAD fung shui). It's now a love motel so I doubt you will get in unless you want to book a room ;-)

Beacon Hill, there are some aprtments there where Betty Ting Pei used to live and where Bruce supposedly copped it. Sorry don't know exact address, may be worth googling. He was taken to Queen Elizabeth hospital in Kowloon when he died.

Film City in Clearwater Bay - is it still open, I think so?. But basically any HK made Kung Fu film from the last few decades would have had at least some (if not all) of its scenes shot there.

Tai Tam Bay - where Enter The Dragon was mainly filmed.

Aberdeen Harbour, had some shots from ETD, if you watch the film you can see the old power station which was to become South Horizons on Ap Lei Chau.

45 Stubbs Road - used for a long shot of Han's palace in ETD (amongst other films)

There's loads of locations, shame the Govt doesn't make more of it as a tourist thing, they only have the really tacky Avenue of Stars down on TST harbour front (you will definitely get Bruce Lee memorabilia there, but it may cost more than you need to pay) which is really forgettable, apart of course from the Bruce Lee statue outside Pacific Coffee.

Thanks very much Pekkerhead! Very informative! My brother is very happy! You'd think there would be something like a HKTB film tour wouldn't you! Many tourists associate Hong Kong with Bruce Lee!

Last edited by DAQUIRI; 08-12-2006 at 08:45 AM.

I think that way back then in the 1970s "Made in Hong Kong" conjured a very different image for me.

Hong Kong still has a vibrant film industry though which you think would be celebrated. Hong Kong should maybe make more of it?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast