Did Pinay Domestic Helper Kill Happy Valley Employer?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Did Pinay Domestic Helper Kill Happy Valley Employer?

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 10:42 AM Posted by Elmer W. Cagape

Today is the 111th Philippine independence day but perhaps even before celebrations began, a sad news from Happy Valley where a Chinese woman was found brutally hacked inside her house. What's the connection between gaining independence and brutal death of a non-Filipino? It so happened that the only other person present in the crime scene is the Chinese woman's Filipino domestic helper. Authorities believe that the two are the only ones living in the flat, located in one of Hong Kong island's upscale areas. And there are angles that point to the 35-year old Filipina as the suspect.

Of course, we didn't win freedom 111 years ago to kill others. Leads are still being constructed. Robbery? Self-defense? Too much pressure at work? Mental incapacity? Nothing's been conclusive as of the moment. But there are hints swirling around.

The incident happened at 5 in the morning, when most Hong Kong people are still asleep, save for some domestic helpers who need to wake up early and start the working day. Did the maid see robbers inside the house and sought help of her employer to ward off intruders?
    Other domestic helpers in the building overheard the maid's complaints that she is frequently scolded by her demanding employer. Was this apparent rift between the two the cause of the ultimate encounter that left the employer getting hacked out of revenge?
    She started working for this Chinese woman, who was a senior official at a government agency, only three to four months ago. Does this mean the two didn't know each other much and got along well?
    The steel gate was locked and wooden door had bloodstains. Of course, early in the morning, the steel gate should be locked when occupants are indoors for security purpose. Or was it locked on purpose to hide the crime and prevent outsiders from extending help?
    Police brought the Filipina helper to Ruttonjee Hospital for treatment of her wounds and then Castle Peak Hospital to check her mental state.

It is a sad story indeed. Employers and employees should harmoniously coexist and know each other's role. I wonder if the likelihood of Chinese people wanting to have Filipino colleagues will marginally decrease? I am not sure.

The last time I heard a Filipino helper killing employers was about six years ago, when a male domestic helper (or driver, can't remember) killed his elderly employers and escaped with loot.

One lesson for both employers and domestic helpers: if there are major disagreements on working condition, it's better for them to part ways; terminate the domestic helper or the DH herself can break her contract. Employers sometimes are unreasonably demanding, but there are also domestic helpers who simply don't carry out their job properly. This doesn't vindicate the Chinese woman who got killed, as the real motive of killing wasn't determined, at the time this blog entry.

Let's wait for results based on investigators findings later.

There is more to this, not sure what has been in the papers though.

im confused....what does this story have to do with the Filipino race, or their independence day? if this DH is guilty...she most likely did it for a specific reason (i.e. money, fight, etc), not because she was Filipino. if she didnt do it...then hopefully she is proven so.

regardless, it has nothing to do with Filipino heritage or their independence, and in my opinion the OP seems to push a start of racism towards Filipinos.

then again maybe im reading things off since im a bit bonkers right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    im confused....what does this story have to do with the Filipino race, or their independence day?
    It's written by a Filipino who I think is a journalist.

See Living in Hong Kong.

It is a shit piece of journalism if that is what he is. Has it been in the SCMP or Standard?

There is in SCMP on today. and in TV news.

The copy above loses the fact that much of it is explicitly a quote from The Standard's report (which is also linked from the original blog page).

some reports say that employer's abdomen had been hacked open and her insides pulled out.

exorcism rites?

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/ne...yer__Roundup__

The news report said the knife wounds were so severe they had almost severed Kie's head and that the victim's abdomen had been hacked open.

Last edited by Star Gazer; 14-06-2009 at 09:05 PM.

I heard that the helper's husband had recently died and that this was involved in what happened. Was that in the paper? I don't want to say too much and get this site in trouble.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast