Hong Kong Identity Cards...Is mine renewable?

Closed Thread

Exclamation Hong Kong Identity Cards...Is mine renewable?

I was wondering, I am over the age of 11, and need to renew my Hong Kong ID, but as not done so since I was 10... Can I still go back now to renew it? (I was born there...) And how many years do the Hong Kong Youth ID last? Must you renew it within the 30 days of turning 18? I do not live in HK... but I do want to go back this summer, I am terribly confused. I am 16 by the way.

geohongkong

Does your HK ID Card have a golden chip embedded in it? If so, then it should be the smart ID card and you won't need to renew it until you're 18.

Yes, you must renew your ID card within 1 month of turning 18.

They might make special exemptions if you're living overseas but I'm not sure.

Refer to the Hong Kong government website for more details.

I think you can still renew it, given that you have good explanation for not renewing it on time, say, you're abroad and you're studying in high school. some friends of mine had similar situations like yours but they could still make it.
    Unless you're in HK and you haven't done it on time, that'll be more troublesome, but for most cases like yours, it should be fine. I suggest you to bring your academic record such as student handbooks, academic result for the past year just in case they need you to prove smthg.