Recycling and donations

Closed Thread

Recycling and donations

Coming from the US (Oregon, specifically), we're using to recycling a good deal of waste (pop cans, empty canned food cans, plastic bottles, cardboard, etc). I'm not sure that there is recycling done here as we haven't seen any sort of container for it in our building's waste collection room. But I don't want to assume anything so can anyone tell me if recycling is a common practice here?

Also, we ususally donate clothes that we no longer wear to the Salvation Army or Goodwill back at home. Does anyone know of a company here who will pick up used clothing items and redistribute it to people who may need it, like the homeless?

Many thanks.

>> But I don't want to assume anything so can anyone tell me if recycling is a common practice here?

It is a fairly passive practice.

>> redistribute it to people who may need it, like the homeless?

There are two issues. First, not many homeless of the type you'd find in the US. Second, there is a huge element of pride in most Asian countries and the folks who cannot afford clothing will prefer to accept new stuff.

A number of charities in HK prefer to accept cash donations...

Yes, you can find the Salvation Army here in Hong Kong.

http://www.geoexpat.com/resources/or...tions/charity/

Are aluminum cans and plastic bottles recycled in Hong Kong? I've seen the sad spectacle of elderly women rummaging through the trash for cans and bottles and I've seen some special trash bins for recyclables around the city, but my building doesn't require it.

I would be happy to sort my trash or even collect the cans for later disposal at a recycling point.

Very good question.

There are actually loads of places for collecting waste paper, cans and bottles. Check this out: http://www.epd.gov.hk/epd/english/en...p_outlets.html

I know they may not be around where you live and draging things down could be a problem. You can always consider starting up one in where you live if there is sufficient interests - just try to talk to the management firm. The place I live has these recyling bins for not only cans, bottles and paper, but also clothes.

The list above also feature a hosts of organisations that will take on not only used clothes, but electrical appliances, computers, furniture etc. for the purpose of redistributing to those who need them. I believe the Salvation Army does not give recycled things free but normally resell them at a very low price (an issue of mentality, I supposed, so that things would get to those who really want them and not wasted simply because they are free for anyone who asks for them. It also maintains certain pride to those recipients because they get those stuff with their hard-earn money - I don't have the whole picture here so you may want to find out more like whether they do that for everything and all the time). This is not usually the case for other charities so you can decide which to give based on your own persuasion.

Hope this helps and brings more attention to the recyling and environmental issues.

I believe that Crossroads International accepts furniture, but I don't think they collect.

http://www.crossroads.org.hk/