BC Magazine Editorial

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

robert - libel, as it is in "written" and permanent form, I'd think.

Great book mark: http://jmsc.hku.hk/blogs/jmsc0019/fi...defamation.ppt

Quote Originally Posted by Sigga:
    Unlike many here, I don't think the HK police are anything special.
    The marine police are even worse. Every time a smuggling haul is made the smugglers are allowed to escape, despite the police recently forking out on a bunch of twin engined speedboats to use for pursuit.

They're either a bunch of useless tossers, or they're on the take. They're not run by Peter Godber are they?

pekkerhead - don't you think that is an operational issue? If the focus was on catching the smugglers and not seizing the contraband, I suspect the guys could catch them. I've often wondered why they always insist that the smugglers managed to escape.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    pekkerhead - don't you think that is an operational issue? If the focus was on catching the smugglers and not seizing the contraband, I suspect the guys could catch them. I've often wondered why they always insist that the smugglers managed to escape.
    Operational? Perhaps, but I don't see why it should be mutually exclusive. Surely if you nab the smugglers first, the contraband isn't going anywhere by itself.
    Last edited by Pekkerhead; 07-07-2009 at 12:26 PM.

>> Surely if you nab the smugglers first, the contraband isn't going to be going anywhere by itself.

Does the operations manual specify that?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Does the operations manual specify that?
    maybe the manual is written in Japanese...

Like all free papers it relies on adverts and it usually picked up for its listings and information about 'what's on'. So it'll have a supposed high circulation figure - it's available in lots of F&B places - so it is worth advertising in.
    I haven't read this article yet - but like all little people in uniforms - if you give them an excuse the cops can be right wanqers.

Was there any followup to this from BC?

I walked past when the whole thing was going on. It all seemed quite calm.

It was outside Trust tower on Johnston Road. The police kept coming in and out of the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekkerhead:
    The marine police are even worse. Every time a smuggling haul is made the smugglers are allowed to escape, despite the police recently forking out on a bunch of twin engined speedboats to use for pursuit.

They're either a bunch of useless tossers, or they're on the take. They're not run by Peter Godber are they?
    If they have the goods but pursue the boat, do you actually think leaving unsecured contraband for a chase of the culprits is a wise move? I suspect that anyone close at hand including the other bad guys waiting to get the goods would make off with them while they chased some bad guys only to find out that they have lost the evidence.

The penalty of losing their goods is worth it over catching them.

That story is a bit odd and sounds like the paper was dropped but the offender knows the police didn't see it. There is no doubt more to this than meets the eye.