No more use of us anymore...:(

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    5,860

  2. #2

    My understanding of this study (acquired from other sources) is that they've tried using female stem cells to produce sperms, all of which ceased to develop beyond a certain stage.

    I guess my message for you is: you are still of use... for now!

    Last edited by ScotchDrinker; 08-07-2009 at 05:05 PM.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchDrinker:
    My understanding of this study (acquired from other sources) is that they've tried using female stem cells to produce sperms, all of which ceased to develop beyond a certain stage.
    They were probably tired and waited for the male stem cell to support them?
    Last edited by Safran; 08-07-2009 at 05:32 PM.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    833

    Hmm. I thought divorced fathers unable to see their children were merely sperm donors with few rights anyway?

    At least this way there won't be any further need for the dreaded CSA...


  5. #5

    Hmm somebody must hate my guts out there. Can someone please explain to me how my plain vanilla post managed to attract a red dot?!

    PS if you red dot someone without signing off, you ARE a spineless tos*er.

    Last edited by ScotchDrinker; 08-07-2009 at 05:37 PM.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    5,860

    Sorry to hear that SD...
    Going back to the topic, how will it affect the evolution and the theory that due to evolution (blah blah) man is polygamist. Now even the sperm banks won't need men...


  7. #7

    To reiterate my previous point, the article that I read stated:

    "Some of his early work led to stories about “an end to men”, enabling lesbian couples to have their own biological children without male involvement but, according to Prof Nayernia, these were based on a “misunderstanding”.

    “IVD sperm can only be produced from stem cells with male [XY] chromosomes,” he said. “Stem cells with female [XX] chromosomes can be prompted to form early-stage sperm but do not progress further. This demonstrates that the genes on a Y chromosome are essential for meiosis and sperm maturation.”


  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    5,860
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchDrinker:
    To reiterate my previous point, the article that I read stated:

    "Some of his early work led to stories about “an end to men”, enabling lesbian couples to have their own biological children without male involvement but, according to Prof Nayernia, these were based on a “misunderstanding”.

    “IVD sperm can only be produced from stem cells with male [XY] chromosomes,” he said. “Stem cells with female [XX] chromosomes can be prompted to form early-stage sperm but do not progress further. This demonstrates that the genes on a Y chromosome are essential for meiosis and sperm maturation.”
    So does it mean to develop an artificial sperm they'd need a YY chromosome?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    8,561

    YY??? there is no such thing (if memory serves me correctly)...


  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    YY??? there is no such thing (if memory serves me correctly)...
    Lol I know carang, someone obviously didn't pay much attention in biology class...!

    Assuming he wasn't pulling our leg, the gene that determines sex is either XX or XY. There's no YY (and god help us if we ever discover one in a human being!)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast