Connecting to Broadband

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Was just asking you for more information like where you have plugged into what.

The lights are on (should one one green that come on forever and another that occassionally flashes) that it is a good sign but then you started to talk about no dial-tone which is confusing because dail-tone is to do with modem connection and not broadband which I assume you have.

Furthermore, usually you do not plug straight into the wall socket at home but need a line-modem of some sort. Have you been given one/passed on by the management/previous tenants?

PettsWood : I think the serviced apartments in Manhattan Heights are centrally networked. The owner rentals need a broadband modem from the telco.

1) Make sure you've connected the right cable into the right adaptor.
    2) See the attached image -- your adaptor should say "Connected" if it has found an ethernet connection that works.

This screen can be brought up by going to "Control Panel" -- "Network Connections"

In your case, you should see just one connection.

3) Double Click on the connection and you should see the properties of the adaptor. (Attached Image2)

Click on the support tab.

Your address type should be "Automatic"
    You should see a valid Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway.

If you see a "16x.x.x.x" type address in the "IP Address" something is wrong with the setup and your management company needs to give you an IP address. (Don't think this should be the case).

Yes true they might actually have to give u an ip adress, I needed one when stayed at the W studio, connecting directly to the socket, without a modem/hub in between.

Internet Connection at Manhatan Heights

My wife just checked into Manhattan Heights few nights ago and she is experiencing the same problem with hard wire connection. Windows report "A Network cable is unplugged" (red cross on two terminal icon), no matter what she tries. Appears to be a wide spread problem in the building.

The "wall connection" in her room is RJ45, and I assume all the connections are that way. It should be, anyway. The building is supposed to be centrally networked. Should be no need to use any modem/gateway. Just plug in the Cat cable and connect to your NIC that's enabled.

Here's something curious. She was able to connect through a non encrypted wireless connection that was available in her room at 54Mbps. Most likely someone near her room does have a live connection.

Management was no help, didn't even know if they're providing wired or wireless connection to the residents..... They initially instructed her to call the phone company, but realized later in that they do provide wired internet connection and provided her with additional Cat cable.

It seems that the building IS wired and has the proper hardware (?). Just not configured correctly. Point is, request needs to be made to the management to have competent personnel trouble shoot the system.

Skysaw

There should be a central management office line on which you can speak to someone at a level higher than monkey.

I agree. I guess the issue is finding/getting to the correct people. I'm not sure, but I think she is dealing with the "central office". She just needs to go up the management chain. I must add however, that who ever is dealing with my wife does seem willing and trying to help. Just doesn't know enough.

Anyway, my wife has been dealing with people in the office making fairly good size "stink" out of this. She'll be down in the office Monday morning to check up on the status. I suggest who ever else that's having trouble go down there as well. More the merrier.

What needs to be done is to verify the physical connection from the router to the rooms and check on the router/gateway set up / hook up.

Skysaw