First apology ever from a police commissioner

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First apology ever from a police commissioner

Not sure what is sadder here ...

- This is the first time ever that a police commissioner has apologized to the public
    or
    - The fact that the cops just cannot seem to have get anything right these days

(Yes, yes, I know they put their lives on the line and all that nonsense.. but they cant seem to get the basics right - like checking ID cards, catching criminals and .... NOT setting up human roadblocks)

Hong Kong's top cop has made an unprecedented apology in the wake of the "human blockade" saga.

The actions of Tang King-shing yesterday make him the first police commissioner ever to say sorry in public.

The apology by Tang came after five civilian drivers were ordered to form a roadblock to stop illegal car racers in their tracks.

Their vehicles - three taxis, a lorry and a car - were stopped by police and used to block the three lanes of the Kwun Tong Bypass shortly before 2am on Monday. The drivers remained in the vehicles, which were struck by three cars believed to be involved in illegal racing.

The resulting pile-up and chases to two other roadblocks led to eight people, including a taxi driver and two police officers, being injured.

"According to initial investigations and the information we have gathered so far, we believe there has been some error in judgment in our operation," Tang said.
    More here - Top cop's sorry saga - The Standard

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

"...some error in judgment..."

Hmmm, hasn't quite got the balls to admit someone made a right royal f-up.

But I'm amazed there was no apology back in the 70s.

Changing times? More accountability?

>> Changing times? More accountability?

Not sure. Perhaps this is so much in the public eye that there is no excusing it. 70s is another story. Doubt a colonial copper would ever admit to a cockup.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    (Yes, yes, I know they put their lives on the line and all that nonsense.. )
    Not content with putting their lives on the line (is policing in Hong Kong really that dangerous? - I mean all they do is set up barriers and stand there trying to look important), they put the lives of the public at great risk.

The police officers that did this roadblock should be taken off duty for "retraining". It was a seriously massive error in judgement. Aren't they meant to keep us out of danger? I hope someone sues them for medical, stress, damages, etc.

If there was such imminent danger, that they need to risk other lives, shouldn't they be drawing guns and shooting (see: the poor guy with the bar stool that was shot for little reason. Maybe in that case the officer should have grabbed someone to place between him and the bar stool.)

This doesn't look like any more of an apology than the "m hou yi si" you get from a waiter for leaving a cockroach in your food.

A story of mind boggling stupidity, but I was amused by one sentence.

"The five men held on suspicion of furious driving were last night released on HK$10,000 bail and must report back to the police at the end of the month."

Is there really such an offense, or has the writer been watching too many crap car movies?

Astounding, though at least the officer in charge showed some creative thinking skills!

Plus I'm amazed they actually bothered to do something about a traffic violation.

The Standard yesterday stated that the alleged racers were seen "roaring at speeds of 120km/h".

I'd hardly call that furious! What were they racing? Smart cars?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    A story of mind boggling stupidity, but I was amused by one sentence.

"The five men held on suspicion of furious driving were last night released on HK$10,000 bail and must report back to the police at the end of the month."

Is there really such an offense, or has the writer been watching too many crap car movies?
    It's taken from the British, and, yes, it is a real offense.

chimo you beat me to it.

Wanton and furious driving
    # Wanton and furious driving is an old offence - predating the invention of the internal combustion engine - contained in Section 35 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861. The prosecution must prove that the defendant drove dangerously (careless driving is insufficient) and caused some injury to another person.
    # The offence is not limited to a road or other public place and is therefore useful for prosecuting cases where the bad driving occurred off-road.
    # The offence can be tried either in the magistrates' court or in the Crown Court. At the Crown Court it carries a maximum sentence of 2 years' imprisonment.
    # Penalty points and discretionary disqualification are now available to courts (see note 10).
    CPS: Policy for prosecuting cases of bad driving

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast