Things you miss the most from the US?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

I've definitely never had a GOOD mozzarella stick here. The breading and cheese have to be good quality and they need to be fried just right. The sauce most places in HK provide is dismal too.

Bender: which is better, Duke's or Cafe Roma?

BENDER,

I am with you, Being a Jersey boy I think your list is perfect, By the way I just came back from Jersey and had one of those calzones you described. delicious.

me, baja fresh.. XD

i usually get pple to bring me a cheesecake and bagels... if only i can have some peter lugers brought back too.. slurp

Quote Originally Posted by Crosby
    I am visiting a friend in HK in about a month and would like to bring him some gifts from New York. Anything in particular you really miss from the US? Thanks!
    same here. i have been thinking this since i bought the flight ticket. Eventually, I got him a pair of banana republic cuff links that isn't too bad....right? I also bought some victoria sercet body care for girlfriends. I guess both brands don't have stores in hk. so, hope you can get something!!

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong
    I've definitely never had a GOOD mozzarella stick here. The breading and cheese have to be good quality and they need to be fried just right. The sauce most places in HK provide is dismal too.

Bender: which is better, Duke's or Cafe Roma?
    as for the sauce...its plain and simple...HK does not know how to make pasta sauce or tomato dipping sauce. they just assume ketchup and chopped tomatoes with a few shreds of garlic is a sauce.

as for best pizza...tough to say.

Dukes is certainly larger pies, and has a great plain pizza with really good crust (close to some places in NY, although not as perfect as i hoped). Besides the pepperoni or the plain cheese...i dont like other toppings here.

Cafe Roma is very small, and the crust is very very slightly worse then Dukes (but still best in HK). However the advantage i find here is that it has tons of really good flavored pizzas. my favorite is the calzone (no not a real calzone) and the eggplant pesto. and their parma ham pizza is excellent too. also their other dishes have been great too.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends
    as for the sauce...its plain and simple...HK does not know how to make pasta sauce or tomato dipping sauce. they just assume ketchup and chopped tomatoes with a few shreds of garlic is a sauce.
    True that. Always the big draw back for Itailian food, expecially pizza. It just doesn't tate right, too something but I don't know what.

Back to the OP, if your friend is a Yankee fan, the Daily News has been running a bunch of promos this year tied to the closing of the old Yankee Stadium. In the same vein, a Yankee fan would appreciate a World Series this year, but that will be tough to deliver.

Jamaican Beef Patties !!!!!
    And Taco Bell, Ice cream, Poutine and Quaker rice cakes!!!

Oh so many things~~ non-Tabasco hot sauce, chicory coffee, rum bread pudding, rum cakes, boudin, pralines, beignets, fried green tomatoes, proper French bread and the Vietnamese style short loaves, banana candy, crayfish, figs, and my mother's cooking. Never really been one for Italian food, but I do miss the green and black olive salads for muffulettas.

None of these are particularly easy to bring, sadly, though I do bring back a box of hubig's pies each time I return home for holidays.

And I do suppose that none of these are available in New York. :P

^^ Gateway carries non-tabasco hot sauce. And many other things from North America. Mostly junk food though, and really expensive detergents.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast