Things you miss the most from the US?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by whynot21:
    I miss our big and powerful washing machine and dryer the most. The one we got here is two in one and tiny. Not satisfied with it.
    I didn't think I was missing anything from the US, but now I am...

Right now I'm missing HKG, cuz I'm in the UK and it's gloomy and people are grumpy and the Leicester Hilton is sh*tty. No facecloths in the bathroom?! What, did Paris need a new frock? And no aircon, and no fan, and the window opens all of about 6 inches. I'm understanding the discounted room rate now. Might have to give the Marriott a try next time.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat:
    What I miss most, on the other hand, are my cleaning supplies!!! Can anyone tell me where to find Murphy's wood soap? And Arm & Hammer washing soda or borax or baking soda (although any other brands are of course absolutely fine too, I'm just used to cleaning with green products and the thought of using anything else is making me unhappy, esp with a 4-month old baby who insists on putting everything within reach into her mouth...)

Thanks!
    you can get baking soda at most supermarkets. can't get arm & hammer (i miss their toothpaste!)... never hear of murphy's... sorry.

you could try GATEWAY. it's been mentioned on here dozens of times. they stock products from USA & Canada, but they don't always have the same stuff, it's kind of hit & miss.

Dunkin' Donuts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TS888:
    I didn't think I was missing anything from the US, but now I am...

Right now I'm missing HKG, cuz I'm in the UK and it's gloomy and people are grumpy and the Leicester Hilton is sh*tty. No facecloths in the bathroom?! What, did Paris need a new frock? And no aircon, and no fan, and the window opens all of about 6 inches. I'm understanding the discounted room rate now. Might have to give the Marriott a try next time.
    You're in Leicester? 'nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by vishalc2009:
    Dunkin' Donuts!!!
    They have this in the Mainland in certain cities (Beijing+Shanghai that I know of). Similarly I've seen Dairy Queens there as well.

dairy queen???? i'd about KILL for a pecan mudslide about now.... there used to be a DQ here in 1995. it was a very small shop in wanchai. it didn't last long... hkers like haagen daaz too much.

was planning a short trip at the end of the month.. haven't decided where... maybe.....

Carjackings, muggings, guns, crime, rednecks in pickup trucks with gun racks and dogs riding in the back, beggars/windshield wiper hoboes, overly obese people... mmm that's about it!

OK fine...New York has decent bagels

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Carjackings, muggings, guns, crime, rednecks in pickup trucks with gun racks and dogs riding in the back, beggars/windshield wiper hoboes, overly obese people... mmm that's about it!

OK fine...New York has decent bagels
    Damn, you must have some bad luck if you were regularly carjacked, mugged and shot by fat redneck homeless people who made their getaways in a pickup truck with a trusty mutt at their side.

"Things you miss the most from the US?"

• The Rockies
    • Warehouse-sized sporting goods stores
    • The amusing fascination that Americans have for British/Aussie/Kiwi accents (and their unfailing inability to distinguish between them)
    • The fine appreciation that Americans have for sarcastic or deadpan humour.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    dairy queen???? i'd about KILL for a pecan mudslide about now.... there used to be a DQ here in 1995. it was a very small shop in wanchai. it didn't last long... hkers like haagen daaz too much.

was planning a short trip at the end of the month.. haven't decided where... maybe.....
    DQ also in Singapore, so loads of vacation places to choose from.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast