Things you miss the most from the US?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Things you miss the most from the US?

I am visiting a friend in HK in about a month and would like to bring him some gifts from New York. Anything in particular you really miss from the US? Thanks!

The longer I stay, the fewer things I ask people to bring back from Canada for me.

My sister in law is coming in a few weeks, and she is bringing along:

-Protein bars (junk food)
    -3 bottles of fish oil (supplements are fucking expensive here)
    -3 jars of coconut oil (and so it healthy food)
    -Salmon jerky, smoked salmon (and good food)

I really hope her the baggage handlers are gentle with her luggage otherwise that's going to be one big smelly mess!

Quote Originally Posted by Crosby
    I am visiting a friend in HK in about a month and would like to bring him some gifts from New York. Anything in particular you really miss from the US? Thanks!
    I am surprised that a New Yorker would consider herself/himself a part of the US! ha ha

just joking...

An easy gift would be some small town newspapers from his community -- they are usually free and sit nicely in your luggage (superflat).

I'm not sure about your friend.... but I'm from dirty jersey across the river and am desperately missing:

Taylor Ham (breakfast pork roll)
    fried mozzarella sticks
    hoagie (plain rolls)
    a real calzone that's like a giant fluffy pillow of ricotta cheese and mozzarella and ham

so.... pm me when you get here so I know where to pick it up. thanks :P
    Posted via Mobile Device

oh.... and some good Jewish bagels and fresh polish perogies
    Posted via Mobile Device

I always have my brother bring me beer, bagels, and seasoning/spices I can't find locally. Personally I miss pizza more than anything, although the thought of mozz sticks with some chunky tomato sauce has me drooling (thanks Bender).

Is there something special about American mozzarella sticks? They're not particularly hard to find here.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends
    I'm not sure about your friend.... but I'm from dirty jersey across the river and am desperately missing:

Taylor Ham (breakfast pork roll)
    fried mozzarella sticks
    hoagie (plain rolls)
    a real calzone that's like a giant fluffy pillow of ricotta cheese and mozzarella and ham
    ...and people wonder why Americans are so fat

hahaha
    well...it depends on where you buy mozzarella sticks. in most cases its the cheese used. In HK, the places ive had it (cant remember where) the cheese is almost like those really bad cheese sticks you buy in the dairy department in Pn'S (which by the way also suck compared to poly-o string cheese back home).

also it depends on the batter used, and the oil used.

ive yet to find a good one here, but if you can recommend some good places ill try them out. after all, i have found 2 decent replacements for pizza so far: Cafe Roma (Park Island) and Dukes Deli (Central)

and taylor ham is soooo good that us jersians have kept a tight lid on it. its rarely seen outside of north jersey, and the further away you go its impossible to find.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast