Hiring a part-time DH?

Closed Thread

Hiring a part-time DH?

I recently moved to HK and need to hire a part time DH -- but I need some guidance here. I've not been responsible for hiring the DH before, and from reading the forums/classifieds, things work a bit different here than in the UK.

For those of you with experience, can you help me with the following:
    - What questions should I be asking potential DH's about their experience/skills?
    - I'm just after someone who can work part time (such as mornings/afternoons a few times a week); what should I expect to pay?
    - How honest are references here? What should I be asking the referees?
    - People at work seem to be confused by the idea of a part-time DH, but I see plenty of listings in the Classifieds section. What responsibilities do I have as a PT DH employer? What questions should I be asking potential DHs to be clear on what my liabilities are?
    - What other things should I be aware of or take into consideration?

Thanks in advance

The big issue with having a PT DH by the book is to make sure that they are not somebody elses FOREIGN DH, whose employment is exclusive to their sponsoring employer. If you want to make sure they are legal, they should have a perminant HK ID card. Most legal PT DHs are locals. I believe there is a HK government website where people can find legal part time domestic employees. (Can't remember what it is, perhaps someone here can help or I can ask at work next week).

However, lots of people employ somebody elses foreign domestic helper part time, on the side. The practice is entirely illegal, can result in some serious fines for the employer and employee and possible deportation of the employee, but lots of people do it anyway. Very rarely do you hear about problems with this kind of arrangement.

Pay rates vary depending on where you live, but range roughtly from HK$40-HK$120 per hour, with HK$60 being about the average rate paid.

RE: the skills and experience thing, don't expect too much. You're going to get someone who can iron, wash, cook and clean. Some are better than others, but its hard to tell from an interview. People seem to have good luck with helpers who have worked for friends/colleagues that are leaving HK. Also, if certain employers have been happy with their helper and are leaving HK, the employer may place an ad trying to find work for the helper, in which case you can speak directly with the previous employer. Other than that, its hard to tell and I've run across quite a few forged "reference" letters...its pretty obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by redock:
    I recently moved to HK and need to hire a part time DH -- but I need some guidance here. I've not been responsible for hiring the DH before, and from reading the forums/classifieds, things work a bit different here than in the UK.

For those of you with experience, can you help me with the following:
    - What questions should I be asking potential DH's about their experience/skills?
    - I'm just after someone who can work part time (such as mornings/afternoons a few times a week); what should I expect to pay?
    - How honest are references here? What should I be asking the referees?
    - People at work seem to be confused by the idea of a part-time DH, but I see plenty of listings in the Classifieds section. What responsibilities do I have as a PT DH employer? What questions should I be asking potential DHs to be clear on what my liabilities are?
    - What other things should I be aware of or take into consideration?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    If you want to make sure they are legal, they should have a perminant HK ID card. Most legal PT DHs are locals. I believe there is a HK government website where people can find legal part time domestic employees. (Can't remember what it is, perhaps someone here can help or I can ask at work next week).
    They could also have a Dependant Visa and be legal. The website for local domestic helpers is Local Domestic Helpers. Very few of such helpers can communicate in English which makes them unacceptable as far as most employers are concerned. You can also employ an agency such as Merrymaids to send people to do the job. This has the advantage that they look after all the insurance issues, but they are a more expensive, you don't necessarily get the same maid consistently, and they still don't generally speak English (although a supervisor will come from time to time who may do).
    However, lots of people employ somebody else's foreign domestic helper part time, on the side. The practice is entirely illegal, can result in some serious fines for the employer and employee and possible deportation of the employee, but lots of people do it anyway. Very rarely do you hear about problems with this kind of arrangement.
    For "very rarely" read "never" as far as the employer is concerned in my experience.
    Pay rates vary depending on where you live, but range roughly from HK$40-HK$120 per hour, with HK$60 being about the average rate paid.
    Agreed. Plus travelling expenses if you live somewhere hard to get to.
    RE: the skills and experience thing, don't expect too much.
    There is certainly a huge range in competence amongst the helpers. There are some who have been working (illegally) part time for multiple employers for many years (my current one has been in HK for 20+ years) and they pick up new employers when necessary by word of mouth recommendation. The fact that they can keep this up for so long means that they are very good at their job, but because of the illegality of the situation care is taken on both sides here - employers will not generally recommend their helper to random people (e.g. people they just came across on internet forums), but only to friends or people they know well.

By the way, the reason this situation arises at all is because the government has such blatantly racist immigration laws which prevent FDHs from gaining Permanent Residence after 7 years continuous work here. This is completely outrageous, and is one of the issues that is causing a delay to HK's proposed Racial Discrimination law - it would require a clause that makes this institutionalised racism explicit and the government is worried about high profile legal challenges which will reflect badly on them.
    Last edited by PDLM; 25-07-2009 at 12:59 PM.