THE PCCW $24K Bill - What can we do?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

PCCW probably thinks it's a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun:
    I guess it would depend on what their 'out-of-pocket' was but you might consider having your lawyer plead stupidity on your behalf and make a counteroffer of $7000.
    I think that would have been a good idea if OP had just refused to pay, but since they have his money now (or your credit card's money, which is just the same) -- they are probably pretty uninterested in negotiating.

Yikes 24k bill due to data roaming charges?

As whats been mentioned previously, Its up to you to research into what the data roaming charges are before you use it.

I have a 3 usb modem and went to UK last week but chose not to take it with me and bought a local Vodafone PAYG 3G modem which was 40 pounds and included 1gbs worth of data download and 15 pounds top up for another 1gb if necessary which I didn't need.

I also have an Iphone and chose not to subscribe to roaming services as I know they'd screw me on the charges thus I keep it in Airplane mode only.

As opposed to US$ 28,000 for watching an NFL game???

Bears fan watches NFL game on laptop, gets $28,000 phone bill : Ben Patterson : Yahoo! Tech

See if you can get a newspaper involved.

At the end of the day, it is trivial for all these companies to setup spending caps (which you can easily override by visiting their website and setting up the configuration).... but they refuse to do so.

And I've changed the title of the thread... since they technically did not commit a crime and rob you.

Last edited by shri; 07-08-2009 at 10:11 AM.

>> I also have an Iphone and chose not to subscribe to roaming services as I know they'd screw me on the charges thus I keep it in Airplane mode only.

The iPhone has a setting to disable data while roaming. I am not sure if you can switch it to WiFi only mode if you want to disable voice.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

There was a guy who had a bill for US$62,000 for downloading a 98-min movie in Mexico.
    Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

The "generous" wireless provider agreed to drop the bill to US$17,000.

the pen/keyboard is mighter than the sword, find out the top managers in pccw on the net, even better, if you can figure out Mr Li's e mail address ( if you do, please pass this info to everyone on geoexpat), write a long protest letter, if you don't a response, write or copy a paste the same letter with bigger font size and change font colour to red.

eventually, they will get tired of your letters and seeing your e mails on a daily/hourly/every minute, they may offer you a discount offer just to get rid of you.

i have had a sucess getting a free replacement/upgraded phone ( cos that phone broken down 4 times in 6 months) after figuring out the top managers e mail for hk/asia/entire corporate, etc, for a major phone manufacturer after just one long winded yet polite letter!!

Imparanoic

Complaining about faulty hardware is a given but complaining because you didn't read the contract and terms and contracts? Why should they give in because somebody didn't check before using the service and made a wrong assumption on how much they're likely to be charged?

if you never try, you will never know.. apart from spending an hour or two in writing a e mail, what do you have to lose..., how many hours would it take for you to earn 24k, even if you only receive 25% or 10% discount, for a hour's work and a few minutes every day...if you get any discount at all, then it will be worth it

Plus paying the lawyer to defend your inability to read the T&C by pleading stupidity for someone capable of surfing t'internet for 5 hours overseas.

pccw trick or CHEATING

I got new mobile simple connection @$69 & told staff of pccw not to add any service except my imcoming & outgoing calls. but pccw gave me chosen wifi free. i recieved first bill of 2,800. iam very shocked & surprice & checked with customer service thrice, is this my bill.
    they told that amount charged for GPRS. now i never signed or choosen GPRS from pccw. now they are pushing to change my plan for $4xx for 4 months atleast.
    can anyone advise what i can do as i dont want to pay that much.

before taking connection i was think why pccw is only charging $69, but this is my first & last experience with this pccw, $69 is just a trick that is why they are pushing to change my plan to $4xx or get $2800
    what if i dont pay

pls advise

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast