THE PCCW $24K Bill - What can we do?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

If you only used the phone for incoming and outgoing calls then obviously there is some mistake by PCCW. However, I have never heard of a case where PCCW's billing system did actually make such a mistake. So I conclude that it is most likely that you did actually use the phone for some services apart from voice calls. And if you did use it then you have to pay.

Are you really saying that you did not use the phone for any services except incoming and outgoing voice calls?

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    If the iPhone is in Airplane mode it shuts down all RF parts, meaning neither phone nor Wifi will work.
    Not sure whether this is true for the iPhone, but for WinMo devices (HTC ones specifically) it is slightly different - Airplane Mode will initially shut down all RF connections (cellular, W-iFi, Bluetooth), but does allow one to switch Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth back on (sensible, given that there is now Wi-Fi coverage on planes).

Quote Originally Posted by beachball:
    Not sure whether this is true for the iPhone, but for WinMo devices (HTC ones specifically) it is slightly different - Airplane Mode will initially shut down all RF connections (cellular, W-iFi, Bluetooth), but does allow one to switch Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth back on (sensible, given that there is now Wi-Fi coverage on planes).
    This is the same for the iphone, as I can confirm I have used wifi in airplane mode on several occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    This is the same for the iphone, as I can confirm I have used wifi in airplane mode on several occasions.
    I could swear that I got an error message when I tried it before, but now it does indeed work as you said. Perhaps a function in the newer software?

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    I could swear that I got an error message when I tried it before, but now it does indeed work as you said. Perhaps a function in the newer software?
    hmm, strange. had an iphone for about a year (i.e. using older software versions) and never had a problem with wifi in airplane mode.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    hmm, strange. had an iphone for about a year (i.e. using older software versions) and never had a problem with wifi in airplane mode.
    Strange indeed. And it gets even stranger, a quick google confirms what I thought:
    When airplane mode is on, appears in the status bar at the top of the screen, and no cell phone, radio, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth signals are emitted from iPhone.
    When airplane mode is on, you can’t make calls, send text messages, surf the web, or check for new email.
    Source: Apple Support

Actually earlier I did not connect to a Wifi network, just activated Airplane mode then Wifi and got a list of (secured) networks. Will check at home tonight if I can actually surf the web or not.

If it does work it's not a bug, it's a feature.

UPDATE: Wifi does work in Airplane mode, it's a OS 2.0 feature:
    When airplane mode is on, appears in the status bar at the top of the screen, and no cell phone, radio, or Bluetooth signals are emitted from iPhone (and GPS is not available). You can't make calls, send or receive text messages. If you want to use Airplane mode and Wi-Fi or Bluetooth simultaneously you can. (Note that using Wi-Fi and airplane mode simultaneously requires iPhone OS 2.0 or later. Using Bluetooth and airplane mode simultaneously requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later.)
    I have a 2G and started on 1.1.something, so that's where I must have seen the error message.
    Last edited by Raccon; 28-12-2009 at 05:54 PM.

deleted: duplicate post