THE PCCW $24K Bill - What can we do?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

THE PCCW $24K Bill - What can we do?

Hi there,

Here is the story: I went to Europe for a while and realised that my 3G USB/internet key worked there. I used it a maximum of 5 hours and got the surprise that my line was stopped when I came back to HK, without notice, phone call or mail.
    I call PCCW thinking there was a technical problem, as a result they ask me to pay 24,000 HKD for those 5 hours on the net!! crazy! My case is 'supposed' to be studied and someone is 'supposed' to call me back... nothing
    Today my bank account shows that PCCW is asking for the payment of this ridiculous amount. Unless I stop my credit card service, it will be taken by the end of the month. Ridiculous!

I heard about lot of stories like this and the bank told me this is not the first time that customers complain about the PCCW way of working, basically they is no document, not even an invoice or notice to tell you 'we will take the money we want from you'.
    What can we legally do for that? Rates of abroad connexion have never been given when I signed a contract. Does it help filing a complain to the police or court? What else can we do?

I have no advice for this specific case, but in general I never give out my credit card number or set up autopay when signing up for services with the local phone and broadband providers. (Especially 3 and PCCW). Sales people from those companies people often claim that your credit card number is required, but in most cases this is not true. Just insist on old school billing by mail. Good luck with your case!

Last edited by geo-seb; 01-08-2009 at 11:52 AM.

My mobile phone works overseas. However, I do know that if I use it, I would have to pay for roaming charges which are quite high. If I used it, I would pay. The same is true for internet browsing overseas, and the charge depends on usage. Maybe try to negotiate with PCCW.

Yup, international roaming is always expensive - actually rates are ridiculous that is why when I use my mobile while travelling I make sure that I do use it on a very limited basis - either calls or internet.

As geo-seb says, when I applied for my subscription, I did give them my credit card and charges are auto debited on a monthly basis. So I guess this is your first monthly being billed by PCCW and that is why you did not notice that they did this before?

How much did you expect to pay when you "realised that my 3G USB/internet key worked there" and used it for 5 hours?

I am sorry to say you are fairly stuffed, you used the service and it was up to you to find out the rates.

PCCW are unscrupulous operators and don't see their customers as valued clients, only as a profit centre to exploit. I have had so many problems with them over their NOW TV service, and fully intend to change operators when my contract is up in a year's time.

Even with Smartone, they warn me when I surf the net that I haven't subscribed to certain packages. The only thing you can do is put it down to experience and change service provider. But if they are willing to negotiate, good luck with that.

Caveat emptor. Any fool knows that 3G roaming is horrendously expensive. I don't see that you have any case at all. You used the service. The rates are fixed and published (in the range HK$0.08-0.24/kB). You need to pay.

The issue about PCCW billing credit cards several days before they send invoices is a separate one and, in my view, quite wrong and contrary to their agreements with the credit card providers. However, I have never actually had a situation where PCCW billed me incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by blueagles
    How much did you expect to pay when you "realised that my 3G USB/internet key worked there" and used it for 5 hours?
    Well I know roaming is quite expensive but in this case... its more than 5 years of regular monthly payment for just 5 hours!
    I was expecting something around 1000HKD an hour but not 4800HKD!

My banker advised to cut the credit card account but after what are the consequenses? I'm so upset that I'd prefer to pay this amount to a lawyer to fight agains those *****

Fight on what basis?

You fucked up. Learn from it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    You fucked up. Learn from it and move on.
    Pretty much. This happened a lot to US residents with the iPhone traveling abroad. You have to activate international roaming so you should already be aware of roaming charges. All phone companies are crazy expensive roaming, hence the EU trying to enforce lower more reasonable roaming charges across the continent.

http://www.v3.co.uk/vnunet/news/2239...oaming-charges
    Last edited by MrMoo; 01-08-2009 at 09:36 PM.

I guess it would depend on what their 'out-of-pocket' was but you might consider having your lawyer plead stupidity on your behalf and make a counteroffer of $7000.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast