I have washed my ipod!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I have washed my ipod!

Yes, it went through a full cycle in the washing machine! It now seems totally dead ... anyone knows if it can still be saved?

Seeing as how you've managed to infuse water and washing powder through all of the internal electrical components, expecting it to be recoverable is a bit farfetched.

Of course, you probably *could* recover the data off the solid state storage media, but you're talking about getting a lab involved and the rest of the iPod is still junk.

Remove battery. Dont turn it on. Can open if possible and let air dry for days. If you turn it on will short itself.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Of course, you probably *could* recover the data off the solid state storage media, but you're talking about getting a lab involved and the rest of the iPod is still junk.
    Seems a bit moot as the originals should still be on a desktop computer.

Electronics can survive a wash in water fine, however batteries do not and might have caused problems. As iPods are sealed devices it is non-trivial to purchase and replace the battery. Your options are to take to a repair shop and ask on their charges - it may be cheaper to simply buy new than trying to repair.

I got my ipod repaired when I dropped it into the bath. Needed some new parts but the repair was cheaper than a new one.

It's worth taking it to a repair centre and asking for a quote.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll go the simple way and try to get it repaired. Otherwise, I'll just buy a new one.
    Stu79, could you please tell me where you got yours repaired? Thanks

have you tried putting into the dryer?

I did the same with a memory bar and I let it dry for several days and it worked fine.

My current iPod shuffle recently stopped working when I use it working out, I am guessing that the sweat is making it short and it seems to restart fine after a few hours. I'm going to try wrapping it in plastic to see if that makes a difference.

Anyway, pop the cover open, take out the battery(easy to do, look it up on internet) and leave it for a few days. My guess is that there's a better than 50-50 chance it'll be fine...

I've submerged 3 phones, and managed to recover 2 of them by taking them as apart as possible, and letting them dry in a nice hot location.
    I've also ruined 2 ipod nanos, apparently tucked into a sports bra isn't a good location for an ipod... Managed with great difficulty to replace the battery and have it work! yay! for about an hour before it died again. not worth the trouble.
    replace it- they don't cost that much these days...

Don't turn it on and cover it with rice for 2 days. The rice will help dry it out. There is better chance of this working if you have a nano or non-hard disk type ipod.

good luck

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast