wedding planning in hong kong

Closed Thread

wedding planning in hong kong

My husband and I are living in the states. We are legally married in the States but since we have to please the parents / relatives, we are going to go back to hk to have our wedding ceremony / reception done. However, it has been extremely difficult to plan this thing out!

First of all, are ther any tips where can I find an officiant that can conduct our ceremony on a beach? Then any other tips on having a romantic creative wedding ceremony/ banquet? Any location suggestions? Let me know!!!!

My understanding is that currently you may only get married in certain licensed places, and beaches aren't one of them. Although I think I have read that the rules may be changing soon-ish.

http://wedding.esdlife.com/home/eng/default.asp

Would be a good place to start for ideas on what's possible.

From which, one of the FAQs states:

"Q: What are the prerequisites for marriage registration in Hong Kong?

A: So long as the couple getting married are both over 16 years of age (according to the Gregorian calendar), they can register to be married at any Marriage Registry in Hong Kong, or at any licensed religious venue, regardless of their nationality or religious belief."

But, of course, since you are legally married somewhere else then you can have whatever ceremony on a beach that you wish in Hong Kong (subject only to finding a suitable beach) but it will have no legal status here (the US one counts).

Last edited by PDLM; 13-09-2005 at 11:42 AM.

the thing is that they are already legally married, so what they want is a "blessing" of sorts...

we did the opposite, we had the legal ceremony here with chinese party after and then a blessing in canada with a canadian style reception/dinner....

because you are not looking for anything "legal" you shouldn't have any problem finding someone to oversee the ceremony....

there are many different places that you could do a party... how many people would you be expecting? what is your budget?

Try: http://www.blisscreations.net
    She is a wedding planner (canadian) and living in HK

We have a list of wedding planner in our directory

http://www.geoexpat.com/resources/sh...ding-planners/

Thanks for all the useful information everyone! Yes since I am already legally married, I believe I don't quite need an authorized location in order to be recognised. My question is, do I really need a wedding planner in Hong Kong and are they expensive (what is the price range)? and is there a place where I can find an officant myself? Is there a directory or something like that, or who can I call? Thanks so much!!! Waiting to hear more from you all -

Ceneri,

All the wedding planning companies give free consultations. Why not drop them an email? Evelyn at Marriage Maestros is a really nice, I'm sure she can give you some pointers. Tell her I referred you.

Rani