Marriage with a local

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    how many of us actually marry for love without considering other aspects like job and money of our partners?
    the vast VAST majority i would have said. the income and bank balance of my future wife is completely irrelevant. as is mine to her.

That could be why there's such a high divorce rate, as people going into marriage thinking only of romance and passion? That side of things fades with time, so you need to be certain that what you have is a really solid partnership, and being open and upfront about finances, having the same attitude to money and values, is really very imprortant.

Money, or your other half's attitude towards it is the cause of many marriage breakdowns, therefore I think it's very important. As is work ethic and attitude to career.

I think the key ingredient to any relationship is trust.

You need trust in a relationship or its not going to work. I've got joint accounts and individual accounts with my partner, the joint account is for bills, food and emergencies.

we trust each other not to abuse it and its all good. At the same time we trust each other to let one another go out and see friends and not cheat.

I'll marry because of this and many other reasons. People always say 'you only live once.. blah blah blah' and I agree.. I'll only live once and i'll be glad to do it for the rest of my time with my partner.

I don't waste my breath on lost causes - and telling a girl to shut up ranks as one of the most futile of efforts in the history of mankind..

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    That could be why there's such a high divorce rate, as people going into marriage thinking only of romance and passion? That side of things fades with time, so you need to be certain that what you have is a really solid partnership, and being open and upfront about finances, having the same attitude to money and values, is really very imprortant.

Money, or your other half's attitude towards it is the cause of many marriage breakdowns, therefore I think it's very important. As is work ethic and attitude to career.
    I don't think that being open about finances and attitudes to money is inconsistent with romance and passion. Certainly, the fact that my husband had a compatible attitude to money, career, work ethic etc is one of his attractions. I cannot think that romance and passion alone are enough though - trust is essential, as noted above, and compatibility. If you are still in the "romance and passion only" stage of the relationship, IMHO, it's too early to be thinking about marriage! But when you consider the other half to be your best friend, as well as lover, then you might be ready.

I do tend to agree though - anyone who is worrying at this stage about the financial implications of divorce is probably not ready to be marrying!

The OP doesn't need the answer to the question as merely presenting this to the prospective partner will end the problem right there. There will be no marriage! That is unless the OP can find a better way to dress this pig of an idea and get it a nice dress and some lipstick! But it's still a pig!!!

But everything is here if you need the legal stuff:

http://www.hkclic.org/en/topics/matr...rs/index.shtml

Note the tricky wording of a property divisions!

Last edited by Football16; 07-08-2009 at 05:50 PM.