Domestic Helpers using your apartment

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Going off at a tangent (since I think it is by now clear that the consensus is "No")...

I was pleased to see that the HK Government is getting a bit of a hard time at the Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination - 75th Session with regard to its treatment of DHs. Their justification for the current "live in only" rule is (p11):

The mandatory live-in requirement remains in place for good policy reasons and necessary immigration control - FDHs are admitted to address the problem of shortage in local supply of live-in domestic helpersFDHs. If the nature of services required by the employer does not require the domestic helpers to live at the contractual address, the services can be readily taken up by local workforce. This is in line with the well-established policy that non-local people are admitted for employment only if there is confirmed shortage in the local labour. Therefore, to allow FDHs to live out would virtually defeat the purpose of importing full-time live-in domestic helpers.
    Which is, of course, ridiculous, at least as far as non-Chinese-speaking expats are concerned, since the supply of local helpers speaking English (surely a requirement) is as close to zero as makes no difference.

Moreover, it is rather amusing to see that the bureaucrats concerned left the last set of "Track Changes" in the document they submitted to the UN, so that the parts in red in my quote, which were intended to be deleted, are still visible. It is worrying that right up until the last draft (when someone by the name of S.Ng with some idea of PR took it out) the justification for having helpers live in included "immigration control", which would, of course, be blatant racial discrimination since no-one else holding Employment Visas is required to live where their employer tells them.

I must say I am pleasantly surprised by the number of HK-based organisations who have made submissions to the UN Committee. Let's hope they have some success.

I think I am inviting controversy here, but PDLM I must disagree.

Which is, of course, ridiculous, at least as far as non-Chinese-speaking expats are concerned, since the supply of local helpers speaking English (surely a requirement) is as close to zero as makes no difference.

A lot of FDH's are employed by the local population and it's a little presumptuous to suggest that non-Chinese speaking expats are the only hirers of FDHs & stating English as a requirement.

I think it is unfair to take the term "immigration control" in this context to be blatent racial discrimination, it is used in the context of domestic helpers, so it is applicable to the occupation, not race per se.

I think generally, the HK Government has immigration issues on FDHs just about right.

Btw, as a final note, I am not seeking confrontation, just expressing a view, so please don't get abusive or condescending on me!

Quote Originally Posted by ray98:
    it's a little presumptuous to suggest that non-Chinese speaking expats are the only hirers of FDHs & stating English as a requirement.
    That's why I didn't do so. Apologies if that was not clear to non-native speakers. The Government's argument would just about be defensible if all helpers were employed by local families, but about 30% of them are employed by non-Chinese speakers, so their argument really doesn't hold water for those 30% at least.

Maybe I misunderstood your comment as English surely being a requirement as a presumption that non-Chinese speaking expats are the only hirers of FDHs. But still, I agree with the government's immigration policy on FDHs.

Btw, your statement about being clear to non-native speakers, what do you mean? Native as in Hong Kong or native as in English? I think it's obvious that I am as English as any expat from the UK!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I know of a case (friend of a friend kind of thing) in which the employer allowed the FDH's friend stay at her home whilst on holiday. She (the employer) spent a lovely time at the police station identifying her pieces of jewellery which had been located at a pawnshop.

Yah, that's the downside of having a stranger in your home. My ex-girlfriend's family had little theft stories (lai see packets, jewellery, petty cash) nicked and that's from a FDH that has been with them for over 20 years+. It's a case of being streetwise and being careful with your valuables. For that reason, I never use them.

Quote Originally Posted by ray98:
    Yah, that's the downside of having a stranger in your home. My ex-girlfriend's family had little theft stories (lai see packets, jewellery, petty cash) nicked and that's from a FDH that has been with them for over 20 years+.
    How can someone who you have employed in your own home for 20+ years be a "stranger".

Stranger as in you never know who they really are, they are outsiders to your family

Quote Originally Posted by Baubei:
    We have one live in maid too and we strictly disallowed her bringing anyone home.
    Which would be the biggest reason for me not to have a live-in helper -- I really don't think I should be entitled to tell an adult person about whom they are allowed to meet at their home.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    I really don't think I should be entitled to tell an adult person about whom they are allowed to meet at their home.
    First, it's not the FDH's 'home'.

Second, only a foolish employer would not set boundaries about who they allow into their home.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast