Old Master Q

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Old Master Q

There is a comic strip inside the Standard newspaper every day called Old Master Q. I read it every day to see if it is even close to being funny and it never is. I'm starting to think that the day I find a funny one will signal the beginning of the apocolypse.

What I want to know is a) is this the worst comic strip ever anywhere in the world, b) if not what is worse and c) if it's printed every day in the newspaper somebody, somewhere must like it. Am I missing something?

A good question. I've come to the conclusion that they aren't supposed to be funny. I think they must be some sort of attempt to bring Chinese comic-books into English or something, but whatever it is it really doesn't translate well for me.

One thing you have to remember is that the vast bulk of the readership of The Standard (or the SCMP for that matter) is Chinese so maybe it means something to them.

Any locals care to comment?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Old Master Q has been going since 1962. Today it's still popular but, IMO, it doesn't translate well across languages, cultures or the decades.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 12-08-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    FarSide was brilliant! I always used to look out for it.

To be fair there are some funny ones still about. The comics in HK magazine are usually funny. The one at the back of the current issue
    made me laugh out loud on the MTR - got some very strange looks!
    Last edited by Stu79; 12-08-2009 at 04:56 PM.

From the omq website:[url=http://www.omqcomics.com/en/home/home_01.htm]OLD MASTER Q

"This is the story of…
    …Old Master Q (“Lao Fu Zi”) and his many dear friends in an urban city setting. Unlike his somewhat old-fashioned costume, Old Master Q lives his life in a very unorthodox manner—often stumbles himself and his friends in and out of trouble. Playful and childlike in nature, Old Master Q and his “cool gang”, particularly the chubby darling Big Potato, handle the everyday life problems and annoyance with sunny outlook in sometimes shockingly hilarious manners."

I hope this works this time - first time it vanished. Clearly someone thinks it is hilarious!

Last edited by MovingIn07; 12-08-2009 at 04:58 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I enjoyed Gary Hart's The Far Side. Was Johnny's funny too? What about Gary Larson's? So many Far Sides...

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 12-08-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    "This is the story of…
    …Old Master Q (“Lao Fu Zi”) and his many dear friends in an urban city setting. Unlike his somewhat old-fashioned costume, Old Master Q lives his life in a very unorthodox manner—often stumbles himself and his friends in and out of trouble. Playful and childlike in nature, Old Master Q and his “cool gang”, particularly the chubby darling Big Potato, handle the everyday life problems and annoyance with sunny outlook in sometimes shockingly hilarious manners."

I hope this works this time - first time it vanished. Clearly someone thinks it is hilarious!

Or Gary Larson's "The Far Side"?

Master Q is OK if you see its background as 1960s Hong Kong.

I appreciate it far more than the shite strips in the Sunday Post, most (all?) of which are American and either meaningless to me or tragically unfunny. Has anyone ever laughed at a Garfield strip, for instance? It's so poor.

The only cartoon in the SCMP which I look forward to is Pooch Cafe which is always original and funny.

I like Garfield!

And I like the one you get in UK/Aus/NZ which is about the British Banker clive (I forget what it's called). That's hilarious. Dilbert is pretty good too.

But I HATE Doonsbury - what on earth is it about? Never makes any sense to me at all!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast