Damaged Library book

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Damaged Library book

I had a kiddies book which I left in my bag on the floor forgetting that every time it rains, the floor near my a/c floods so the book is now half wrinkly & the colours have ran a bit in some places!

Is there a crazy fine or will it just be the cost of the book which is £5.99?

Also if anyone can give tips on the whole floor flooding thing, that would be good too !

Er, assuming the water is rain that is being blown through the aircon, then adjust it from being "Open" to "Closed".

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

"If any library material borrowed is lost or damaged, the borrower shall be liable to pay to the Government such sum of money as the librarian considers necessary to replace such library material or the whole set of library material of which such library material forms a part. In addition, the borrower may be required to pay a surcharge amounting to 20 per cent of such sum."

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Er, assuming the water is rain that is being blown through the aircon, then adjust it from being "Open" to "Closed".
    It doesn't have that option, it is a really old noisy one!

It has 2 dials one saying strength & the other is different modes - fan, high cool, low cool etc.

The weird thing is, is that it never happens with the bedroom one and they are exactly the same models.

thanks for the info claire ex ax...I guess it means paying around £6 then, although I am hoping they might not notice

Best to point out the damage and take it on the chin .. else the next person might be accused of damaging the book.

I'd buy the replacement and take it with me. Should negate the 'surcharge'

Quote Originally Posted by London2HK:
    It doesn't have that option, it is a really old noisy one!

It has 2 dials one saying strength & the other is different modes - fan, high cool, low cool etc.
    I suspect it does, but it may be via a level at the side or bottom of the vents that you slide up/down or from side to side. It may have been broken off of course.

[Some] Books Deserve Respect

Hate chiming in with easy 'goody-2-shoes' vibes, but...

Books - I LOVE.

I wince at the state of the well-fingered ones stashed in libraries, public and schools - and lament neglect of their ailing spines, dog-ears, dotty doodling & all.

Now, think how much pleasure it'd give to some other kiddie opening another, perhaps NEW replacement, copy - LESS wrinkled and watermarked than the one you're about to sneak(? ) back in.
    ___

Excuse above melodrama. But, yah, accidents happen.
    So, no guilt-trippin' meant...
    (Least, not quite.)

Last edited by emmie; 13-08-2009 at 05:24 PM.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Do the Ol Switcheroo
    get someone [not the library ticket holder] to take the book back saying they 'found' it.
    This person will get a pat on the head and exits stage left
    You enter stage right and report the book 'lost'.
    as the book has been returned you will also get a pat on the head.
    Case closed.

Well I just hope that when I pay the monies they will actually replace the book and not just pocket it and put it back out damaged because a lot of the children's books aren't in a great state which is why I wonder!

Replacing it would be a good idea but the P+P from Amazon UK is £8 ! The book itself is 1p !

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast