Where buy supplies to snake proof garden HK?

Closed Thread

Where buy supplies to snake proof garden HK?

I have two very young children and live in a area where there are many poisonous snakes. I would like any recommendations on methods of snake proofing yard/house. Also, where can I purchase the supplies to assist this process in HK. Thanks so much!

Snakes are much more scared of people than we are of snakes. Snakes run away (well, slide away) when people approach so they are really not that dangerous providing you don't try and catch or provoke them. Just teaching your children some basics about prevention (like not sticking their hands into holes they cannot see) and not trying to pick up the snakes should be quite sufficient.

While I know that the above is true for the most part, I would still like to snake proof our backyard. Both of my children are under two and I would rather be safe than sorry. If anyone know where I can buy supplies (wire, mesh, etc) I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Snakes are much more scared of people than we are of snakes. Snakes run away (well, slide away) when people approach so they are really not that dangerous providing you don't try and catch or provoke them.
    While the above in most circumstances is true, especially in relation to the Cobra's, it's not absolute. There are a couple of aggressive species of snake here who will bite unprovoked - or to be more exact just because you are near them. With a couple of young ones always best to be as safe as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    While the above in most circumstances is true, especially in relation to the Cobra's, it's not absolute. There are a couple of aggressive species of snake here who will bite unprovoked - or to be more exact just because you are near them. With a couple of young ones always best to be as safe as possible.
    I thought cobras were the most likely to stand their ground!

Quote Originally Posted by braven:
    While I know that the above is true for the most part, I would still like to snake proof our backyard. Both of my children are under two and I would rather be safe than sorry. If anyone know where I can buy supplies (wire, mesh, etc) I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
    I know you can get mesh and the like at hardware stores on Hennessy Road, but it should be easy enough to find on Lantau I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    I thought cobras were the most likely to stand their ground!
    Pretty much only when cornered, they will always avoid confrontation if they can. Despite the King Cobra being one of the most poisonous snakes in the world it's vary rare for people to be killed by them. They are actually able to vary the amount of venom they release in any bite. They prefer to use for food so using it for defense is a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Pretty much only when cornered, they will always avoid confrontation if they can. Despite the King Cobra being one of the most poisonous snakes in the world it's vary rare for people to be killed by them. They are actually able to vary the amount of venom they release in any bite. They prefer to use for food so using it for defense is a last resort.
    Yup, I love the old Ophiophagus. My favorite snake and revered in Hinduism. I considered having one tattooed on my arm for years, but never went through with it.

Your best bet to snake proof your garden is to get a dog or cat and keep it out there. Snakes stay away from cat urine and a most dogs will root out and kill any snakes that come to your patio area. I live in Clearwater Bay and my dog has killed 3 bamboo pit vipers and 1 cobra... all found in my 1000 sq foot garden.

you'd be wasting your time with fencing to keep snakes out...