MTR KCR Train line TST Hung Hom

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    It does? As I understand it, whichever direction you are going in the interchange is now Hung Hom.
    I might have been mistaken. I got off the train this morning at Hung Hom and noticed pax crossing to the other side of the platform for the train towards Lo Wu/Lok Ma Chau. If you cross the platform at East TST, you end up on the train going back where you came from.

Aiya...that big paragraph, for nothing.

A few historical facts..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowloon_(KCR)

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Is anyone else confused by the fact that there is a Mongkok station on the Tsuen Wan line as well as on East Rail?
    Also whats with this East TST station at TST East?
    And finally , which is shorter? the walk from Kowloon Station to Austin Station or from TST station to East TST?

I'm not confused by that at all, but I used to live there. I think of them as MK train (KCR) and MK subway (MTR).

The walk from TST station to East TST is shorter IMHO, but I've not walked enough times to Austin Station (did it for the second time yesterday) to gauge properly. I'm sure that all the looking around is what's slowed me down. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Hokuto:
    I'm not confused by that at all, but I used to live there. I think of them as MK train (KCR) and MK subway (MTR).

The walk from TST station to East TST is shorter IMHO, but I've not walked enough times to Austin Station (did it for the second time yesterday) to gauge properly. I'm sure that all the looking around is what's slowed me down. :P
    Is there an underground walkway between Austin and Kowloon? Might get me some aircon on my way to Elements...

Quote Originally Posted by Sigga:
    Is there an underground walkway between Austin and Kowloon? Might get me some aircon on my way to Elements...
    no, you have tolerate the baking sun and rain from austin to kowloon mtr

know that you have to interchange from hung hom to east tst to get to central, is there any time advantages if you use this line in comparison to changing via kowloon tong to tsuen wan line?

previous you could save up to aprox 6-9 minutes, but how about now?

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    Is anyone else confused by the fact that there is a Mongkok station on the Tsuen Wan line as well as on East Rail?
    Also whats with this East TST station at TST East?

And finally , which is shorter? the walk from Kowloon Station to Austin Station or from TST station to East TST?
    KK - Same as Hokuto, me not confused 'bout the two, either. That's coz I've been around a bit, er... getting 'round on trains - ol' KCR, other transport & all.

Locals differentiate between 'TST' and the newer 'TST East' line by name - here Cantonese wise: 'Jim-SAA Jui', which in Eng (misspelled) signs = Tsim Sha Tsui, and they simply abbreviate TST East as 'Jim Dung'.

On most signs denoting (final) destination, say, on the front of the actual train, you'll see the 3 Chinese characters for the former ( 尖 沙 咀 ), while the latter, just the two ( 尖 東 ).

'Mong Kok' and 'Mong Kok East' is also how Hokuto puts it: one's a subway 'MTR-style' train (Canto: 'DEI-teet'), the other, normal or ol-style, above-ground 'KCR' train ('FOR-chea').

Answers to numero 2:

Definitely easier (if not shorter) walking from TST station to the one in TST East, and smoother and - 'specially in these sticky temps - COOLER, drier... in aircon subway (tho maddeningly slowed down by lotsa bods rolling cases, most of the way).

Walking from Kowloon station to Austin (TST), yep... concrete-grey, dusty & HOT. Should leave that 'stroll' till autumn-'winter'... unless real fit & quick.
    Last edited by emmie; 19-08-2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: wobbly gram... & other bits

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    know that you have to interchange from hung hom to east tst to get to central, is there any time advantages if you use this line in comparison to changing via kowloon tong to tsuen wan line?

previous you could save up to aprox 6-9 minutes, but how about now?
    No more, those minutes are eaten up waiting at Hung Hom. Shortest wait for me so far was today at 7 minutes. A royal pain in the arse!

So wierd.. I was going to make a post regarding this. I went from Tai Po to Tsim Sha Tsui East today, and sat on the train for ages in Hung Hom only for it to return BACK to Mongkok East. What the hell is going on I thought! I did see the notices, but I assumes the trains still went to East TST and there was the ADDITIONAL option to change at Hung Hom for West KCR!

I don't understand why they have to cut the East KCR line short??? They've seemingly taken away part of a service for no reason. I'm not happy!

The change at Hung Hom when I finally got back to Hung Hom took a long time.. maybe ten minutes too. Ten minutes in HK public transport is a looooooong time!

Last edited by kryzlowski; 19-08-2009 at 03:20 PM.