Hong Kong and wheelchair access

Closed Thread

Hong Kong and wheelchair access

My parents are coming to visit HK soon. My mum has to use a wheelchair to get around and I’m trying to plan a rough itinerary for their trip. I want to make sure they have a great trip, with minimum hassle.

I wondered if anyone here has experience re wheelchair accessibility in HK and can offer any advice?

Of course I can check myself whether places have steps etc, but it would be great if someone could give advice from first-hand experience. I’ve checked HK tourism websites, but the information given is pretty minimal.

It seems that the more modern facilities should mostly be accessible but I think some sights will be difficult/impossible. I’m not bothered about public transport as I plan on taking taxis and/or hiring a car and driver.

In particular, would the following be do-able?
    1. Star Ferry from Central
    2. The Peak (seems you can drive to the top and then get a lift to the viewing platform)
    3. Happy Valley race night
    4. Lantau Island Big Buddha (I saw there’s a car park near the top of the stairs, but can’t remember whether there are any more steps from there?)
    5. Stanley Market (or at least part of?)
    6. Jumbo Floating Restaurant??

Also, are taxi drivers usually helpful re wheelchairs? (I guess it’s just luck as to who you get.)

Thanks for your help!

i was in a wheelchair during my last pregnancy. to be honest, i found it very, very difficult to get around. that said, i had to rely on public transport.

not in the same order as your list, but here goes:

1) you shouldn't have any trouble getting to the star ferry (& on and off) from central. just make sure you go on the lower deck

2) i believe there are ramps etc at the peak. there is definitely a lift, but i don't remember if it goes all the way up to the top or not... i only remember escalators.

3) stanley market...can be done, but would be very awkard trying to get in and out of the stalls/shops. if you go, make sure you go on a week day, when it's not too busy.

4) jumbo... there is a step you must get over to get onto the ferry to the restaurant. there is a lift inside the restaurant. there are about 4-5 steps to get to the level where the lift is, but i'm not sure if there is a ramp or not, i can't remember.

5) happy valley race night...you could go together with some friends and try to rent a box? there would most likely be access then...as for $10 entrance, it's been about 14 years since i've been, so i don't remember.

6)big buddha....i would try to take them on the cable car. totally worth it. you could fold up the chair so she could sit on the seat and get a good view. it's how i've taken my kids & their prams in the past. even if she doesn't get to go all the way up, she could still enjoy the day trip.

1. Yes - the Star Ferry is wheelchair accessible on the lower deck and has a space in which the wheelchair can be secured.

2. Yes, as you say. But the Peak Tram is also Wheelchair Accessible.

3. Yes. HKJC

4. I'm not sure about getting right up to the Buddha itself either, but all of the temple areas (with the one exception of the big hall at the end, I think) are pretty much on the flat and wheelchair accessible. The Cable Car is fully wheelchair accessible too. Ngong Ping 360 Official Website - FAQs

5. Yes, although the walkways between the shops/stalls are quite narrow and I think going there at weekends (and hence lots of people) with a wheelchair would be tricky.

6. Yes, just about. You'll need people to help lift the wheelchair on and off the little ferry I think, but once on the Jumbo restaurant (which isn't really floating by the way - it's on concrete piles) there is a lift. You could call them to see if they have ramps for the ferry.

All big buses (at least all the ones on HK Island) are wheelchair accessible as well. The MTR website details lift access at their stations, but I read that they are sometimes out of order, and there's often only one street entrance available. This guide for accessing public transport may save you a huge amount on taxis... A Guide to Public Transport for People with Disabilities

Last edited by PDLM; 03-09-2009 at 12:04 AM.

Thanks so much, Carang and PDLM! I really appreciate you taking the time to give me the info and links (I guess I should have already thought to check out their websites...). It’s great that the Ngong Ping cable car is accessible - I can add a few more things to the itinerary now.