Satus and image and more status

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    How about "old money" doesn't feel the need to be as showy as "new money"?
    It is not about being "showy", it is more about having the best available. Why not have the new S-Class Mercedes Benz, if you can afford it?

But, people who are "comfortable" money-wise tend to buy smart. A new Mercedes Benz can look "showroom new" for five years to the untrained eye. Truely rich people, just want the best. Why fly Business when you can fly First.

Re Jay Leno: he is more of a car fanatic. He has over a hundred cars, of every shape and type, except interestingly enough, Ferraris. There are many very wealthy car fanatics such as Rowen Atkinson, Nick Mason (from Pink Floyd) and Jay Kay (from Jamiroquai) who are fortunate enough to be able to indulge in their hobby.

I am still saving for the Pagani Zonda that is sitting in the window that I walk past twice a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    (2) hiding from the sun so that you don't tan so that people don't think you work in the fields.
    I have a suspicion that tanned skin isn't a desirable trait for a chinese girl. Maybe I'm wrong but i think many chinese guys prefer the white/pale skin.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

No mention of rich guys and their car collection is complete without Clive Cussler, the only one I know who has his own musuem.
    Only one, tht us true, but all the cars inside are his.
    Cussler Museum

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile:
    Forget dark glasses, what about people who wear glasses, with no glass in them, just the frames. Don't laugh! I have seen this three times in the past month or so. First was a guy - seemed a little strange, but whatever. Second and third times where young women. One was next to me on the bus - she was only wearing frames! What the hell? Please tell me someone else has seen this.
    I first saw this on US' So You Think You Can Dance. That show is quite big/influential and one of the popular contestants, Twitch, was big on the glasses sans frames. I'm sure that shortly after the show aired and the phenomenon incubated, hoards of tweens and adolescents scourged their local shopping malls for similar frames. It was only because I watched SYTYCD that I noticed all the lens-free glasses here.

I in no way believe that the dance-reality-show started the trend, I'm just saying...I think it's a stupid one, especially in North America. At least in Asian countries, you're used to the general public being superfluous with their accessories (what is the point of dangling trinkets off a cell phone?). It's why I've seen more of those damn lattice Kanye-glasses here then I have anywhere else. I don't know anybody back home who would be caught dead in those. But I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile:
    It is not about being "showy", it is more about having the best available. Why not have the new S-Class Mercedes Benz, if you can afford it?
    If you need it and can afford it, it isn't showy.
    If you don't need it, but buy it anyway just because you can, you are being showy. Goes back to my original "who would be caught dead in a 3 year-old Ferrari" comment.
    Also, if you need it, but can't afford it, you are being showy.

In general, I think people with old money fit the first statement; people with new money fit the second. People who wish they were old or new money fit the third.

Quote Originally Posted by smeedy:
    I have a suspicion that tanned skin isn't a desirable trait for a chinese girl. Maybe I'm wrong but i think many chinese guys prefer the white/pale skin.
    Going with a Darwinian answer. Very appropriate this year.
    Sort of goes with the "Asian girls don't like muscular guys" theory. Which, at one point in time, was proved by a poll. As much as a poll can prove anything.
    Good thing Asian guys don't like tanned skin and good thing Asian women aren't looking for muscular men because the place would be unpopulated.

you're all off about the pinky thing.

it's not about status or belief about be so enriched and not having to do manual labour.

its about function - they use to pick their nose, their teeth and their ears (in no particular order).

:wave

Quote Originally Posted by smeedy:
    Yeah, judging by the ridiculous number of skin whitening/ cosmetic adverts on tv having that milky white porcelain skin is a must if the marketing is to be believed.

Maybe its a phenomenon thats not isolated to HK but to all of Asia.

I reckon HK guys, especially the fashion conscious want paler skin too so its not just restricted to the ladies!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4