Satus and image and more status

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Satus and image and more status

Can people really be this image conscious?

(1) growing long nails, especially the pinkie nail (what I would term a "cocaine nail"), so that people know you don't work with your hands.
    (2) hiding from the sun so that you don't tan so that people don't think you work in the fields.
    (3) changing cars every couple of years because, after all, who would be caught dead in a 3 year old Ferrari? (Actually, I think this has more to do with the effects on a sports transmission of constantly being stuck in traffic and first gear.)
    (4) refusing to carry reuseable bags because it shows you care about saving 50 cents; or you might be confused with a DH.

And there are probably others, but #4 really threw me. From the above, I am obviously a dirt poor farmer who makes big rocks into small rocks.

I have heard all of this from locals. Surely they are pulling my ignorant leg?

i always thought the long pinkie nail was for scooping wax from ones ears? (aside from the coke thing)

Pretty much so yes and also the following

Changing your phone to the latest bling bling one every few months.

And you so can't have last seasons handbag

Handbags are seasonal?

When I am out working the fields 24/7, don't have much time for handbag noticing.

I have noticed the cell phone thing, though.
    And the pinkie nail is not only good for coke and ear wax, but also for nose cleaning, as long as it isn't sharp.

well...I would say this ties very closely to the HK peoples fear of being associated with the dreaded "mainland". but actually this is everywhere you go to some extent.

...when i get home from my long day planting rice, i come in and scrub my skin with bleach to erase the suns damage. i then head out to the nearest designer shop to pick up a handbag in this weeks new color, and new smaller size (now small enough to hold only 2 peanuts). and please, id rather be caught dead then enter a supermarket...thats for poor people.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Another thing is the sunshade, you know the headband thing with shade usually pulled down to the nose. While this part of the official mainland tourist uniform, a lot of locals seem to go for it as well.The Dai Lama has been seen sporting a matching saffron one while in Taiwan.
    But sunglasses are out or should I say they seem to be the preserve of the gwei lo. They seemed to be permenantly there regardless of the weather or even time of day. I was at a cocktail party recently where a rather fetching lady was sun goggled, and so was effectively blind and had to be led around by the hand.
    Not that I minded, but still a bit silly in the pursuit of image.

1. There is actually a good story behind this. I think it was the Dowager Empress Ci Xi who was a notable proponent of this trend. The idea was that if your pinkie nail was long, that was evidence you are so enriched that don't have to do any hard manual work. Over the years, the locals have reversed this rationale by asserting that if you have a long pinkie nail you will be enriched - load of bollox really

2. I hate the sun and worried about the health effects, but then again I smoke, so the truth is I hate the tan look that so many HK kiddies chase.

3. I never buy a new car on the principe that I could not get over the depreciation cost. I always buy 3yrs+ cars

4. I refuse because the objective of the policy will never be reached and these efforts contribute sweet nothing and are just a government PR exercise.

I don't see what the big deal is. People the world over do arbitrary and often counter-intuitive things for the sake of status and image.

Men spend a fortune on mechanical watches which are less accurate and more fragile than cheap quartz watches. 99% of men who buy expensive watches and denies that they are simply jewellery is full of it.

Men buy big, expensive, gas-guzzling cars on credit or payment plans to impress women or other men.

Women wear diamonds which, outside of a narrow range of industrial applications, are intrinsically useless, in order to demonstrate how wealthy their provider/husbands are.

And it's not just a matter of more money = more status. There are examples in the other direction. San Francisco hipsters ride impractical single speed bicycles with *no brakes* and rock hard retro leather saddles. This is especially amusing considering how hilly San Fran is. Or they buy a Toyota Prius instead of walk, or ride the bike.

All in all, I find the pretention in Hong Kong a little more honest. In the west, it is often hidden behind disingenuity.

Last edited by jgl; 04-09-2009 at 11:56 AM.

>> rather fetching lady was sun goggled, and so was effectively blind and had to be led around by the hand.

Perhaps she was blind? Had eye surgery done that day? People who judge are as guilty as those committing the offenses!

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    >> rather fetching lady was sun goggled, and so was effectively blind and had to be led around by the hand.

Perhaps she was blind? Had eye surgery done that day? People who judge are as guilty as those committing the offenses!
    Between us guys who go for babes in glasses you know thats a load of codwallop. The dame with the Gucci shades around her nostrils was making googly eyes at anything male around her-the blind helpless act was all part of the 'image'.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast