Like Tree2Likes

Who here is homesick?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Who here is homesick?

I am.
    I've only been in Hong Kong for a few weeks. At first it was stressful adjusting to a new environment, so I didn't really have time to feel anything else. But today I feel extremely homesick. I have no idea how long it will be until I get to go home again.

How did you deal with the homesickness when you first arrived in Hong Kong? Did you end up loving it here? Or you're still wishing you're back h0ome?

Sorry to hear that. It does take time for most people to settle. I guess 6 - 12 months is normal. Where are you from? Perhaps mixing with some of your compatriots would help?

I never experienced any feeling of being homesick and settled in here very fast (perhaps because I had always traveled in Asia before and had been to HK many times before) but I always get a reverse culture shock when I travel back to Europe now or North America which leaves me feeling confused about where 'home' really is. I now consider HK my home. I don't think I could live in the West again but I think I could settle in most places in the Far East.

You have only been in HK a few weeks so you probably don't know many people here and making friends/acquaintancies would be a good first step. Perhaps attending some of the geoexpat meet-ups would be a good start? Good luck! You'll make it!

I was actually born in Hong Kong but raised in Canada. I do have friends here, not as many as in Canada. Just the thought of driving to places in Canada made me so homesick when I woke up this morning. I do miss my friends but I miss going to places there more. Even the places that I used to despise in Canada became something that I miss today. Guess I just have to keep myself occupied.

What you are going through is quite natural.

Even the easiest of moves can be stressful.

Try getting out, doing different things in HK and just try remember, you probably don't want to be in Canada during the winters ! You have to focus on why you moved here and draw on the positives.

I'm sorry you feel homesick, i do get that sometime even though i do love it here and my other half think its the greatest place ever! But i do miss the space and be able to drive 15 mins to a nice looking beach and just going for a walk there every evening. and.. ohh dont get me started on the Mud cake.... , It will get better, keep busy and you wont have time to be homesick! Also meeting new friends normally help

yeah, I've been feeling homesick this summer too... what with all my friends posting pics of their trips to the cottage, parties, beach parties, boat cruises, etc on facebook. But that will probably change soon when it gets cold again (in canada)

I miss the bigger space in the US, but I also like it here in Hong Kong. The only thing is, I don't have friends here. I am new to this place too. It is a strange emotion when I feel that I am an outsider. I guess it all takes time.

The advice is good to get involved in specific ongoing activities and the discretionary things where you are planning and doing things on the weekends. It of course really depends where the focus of your life is at of course. Good luck.

This isn't just a Hong Kong thing. I've lived in four different countries and I think it's normal to feel homesick. I think it takes at least 6 months to really settle in and get a comfortable routine going. The problem is that you've left your old life but you haven't fully started your new life yet and that inbetweeny stage is the worst. Letting go of your old life is just hard.

It takes a while to build a close social circle, find favourite places to hang out, know where to buy comfort stuff, find new comfort stuff and truly settle in.

Don't worry about feeling miserable for now. It will pass. In the meantime, go for a walk and explore the surrounding streets where you live. Then start the process of making friends, finding bars and restaurants and start planning for the future. Eventually the positives of living here will outweigh the negatives. It just needs time.

No one is stopping you from going back to London. The airport is not restricted from anyone.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast