Like Tree72Likes

noisy neighbours - what options?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Casa24:
    I guess I'm lucky I'm on the top floor ...... but I have a completely barmy old woman on my floor who seems to think she has the right to try to enter my apartment when she likes!! Now I ignore the door bell and the hammering on the door, so she has taken to banging on the kitchen window............. I think I may have to threaten her with the police.......... Any ideas?
    Maybe your her noisy neighbor ?

Skyhook; interested in the double glazing option.

Me and my wife just moved into a nice flat in CWB, but have found that a scrap metal shop starts work at 6.15am every morning and is very noisy. It wouldnt be so bad except for the brand new sliding windows (we thought were so neat at first) aren't very soundproof - both the glass and the fact they aren't 100% airtight like most windows.

We are renting so anyone know if we are allowed to replace the windows in our apartment? And god knows how I'd go about communicating it with one of the glaziers here...

Glaziers lol Do they even exist in HK ?

Most if not all windows, are manufactured to order across the border.... The aluminium extrusion for double glazing is unique to it, and the space between the two sheets of glass is under a vacuum environment.
    Pictured below, only difference with ours, is that we had remote controlled electrically adjustable micro Venetian blinds installed, while they were being made.

Not sure what an aluminium window frame/balcony door shop will charge for one window casement worth of work, but on a 3 bedroom village house lot worth of windows, it worked out to being $120hkd per ft of window area, during rough in stage of the renovation....

If you want to get some prices, there are a number of these shops In Shanghai St, Bute St, Portland st, Mongkok and in the immediate neighbouring blocks near the Langham hotel... You could also pop down top Lockhart road between Wanchai and HSBC bank in Causeway Bay, there will be atleast 3 shops that deal with aluminium extrusion products, ie patio doors, wrought iron, fret work, casement windows etc...

Hope that helps..
    Last edited by Skyhook; 11-09-2009 at 08:54 AM.

When I was really small ( 6 or 7 ? ) , this group of hooligans used to yell at night down my house then we would threw some water bag (filled with " DIRTY WATER " ) and it worked.... but now I have grown up so I would just simply call the police

This is just a very partial remedy but I swear by my noise-blocking or noise-cancelling headphones. cost about 100 bucks usd. i ordered them online but have since seen them in higher end electronics stores.

make sure the package states they are noise cancelling, and not regular headphones.

they take one AAA battery and emit an inaudbile signal that blocks most but not all noise. Perfect for street level noise, barking dogs, air con's and so on.

when I am working at home, or even in my office on campus these things are a godsend

Quote Originally Posted by Thanks:
    they take one AAA battery and emit an inaudbile signal that blocks most but not all noise.
    Er, no, that's not how they work at all.

In a way they do... the headphones generate a noise with a sound wave that matches and cancels other noise in a certain frequency. The same tech is used near airports to keep jet noise lower.

Very cool windows Skyhook! God forbid those blinds ever need untangling though, which is my overiding experience with any venetian blinds I've ever encountered! I'll look into double galzing anyway.

Not sure if something like this is available in HK and also cheaper than getting double glazing.

.::Eclipse curtains - the energy saving, noise reducing blackout curtain ::.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    If I could introduce one law in HK it would be banning pianos in flats.
    Thing is, given how much people on here like to remind us of the median income in HK, most people playing the piano will be doing on an electronic (or is it electric) piano. They can use headphones!

We have a piano, but given how often we seem to move it's electric. My partner, the pianist, plays it with headphones on. I, the tone-deaf one, do not.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast