Automatic watch question

Closed Thread

Automatic watch question

i bought a raymond weil freelancer recently, but sadly do not know how to wind it. and i cant find any instructions.

i know that it can only be to turn the dial in 1 direction (either clockwise or counterclockwise), but it seems neither help much.

if i twist it clockwise it sounds like im pushing a windup toy the wrong direction forcing the gears to move forward. but it makes the watch tick.

If i twist the dial counterclockwise it clicks slowly like i am winding it up, but then the watch doesn't pick up any momentum.

any thoughts?
    its supposed to last 48 hours for the wind.
    i have tried both directions (one at a time) and yet every day it will stop.

If it's an automatic it should be selfwinding, i.e. using normal arm motion to activate a small counterweight system.

My automatic watch (Tag) cannot be wound up manually.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    If it's an automatic it should be selfwinding, i.e. using normal arm motion to activate a small counterweight system.
    Yup shake your wrist and put the watch up to your ear afterwards, You should hear a whirring noise which means its winding.

yes...it is automatic so that it does have that function. and i have an open view of the main pendulum inside so i can see its movement.

but it also has a winding function so that you can wind it a bit every morning or on days you arent wearing it so that it will keep going regardless of your movements. thats the part im trying to understand how to do.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    yes...it is automatic so that it does have that function. and i have an open view of the main pendulum inside so i can see its movement.

but it also has a winding function so that you can wind it a bit every morning or on days you arent wearing it so that it will keep going regardless of your movements. thats the part im trying to understand how to do.
    I wish my automatic watch had that function (sorry, probably of no help to you though).

Exaggerated wrist movements will provide a quick wind up for an automatic watch, perhaps you can think of a common male morning activity that requires such an action

i bought a raymond weil freelancer recently, but sadly do not know how to wind it. and i cant find any instructions.

i know that it can only be to turn the dial in 1 direction (either clockwise or counterclockwise), but it seems neither help much.

if i twist it clockwise it sounds like im pushing a windup toy the wrong direction forcing the gears to move forward. but it makes the watch tick.

If i twist the dial counterclockwise it clicks slowly like i am winding it up, but then the watch doesn't pick up any momentum.

any thoughts?
    its supposed to last 48 hours for the wind.
    i have tried both directions (one at a time) and yet every day it will stop.
    That's kind of weird. I thought automatics usually wind clockwise- anticlockwise is usually reserved for unscrewing the crown. Your Raymond Weil should be running a pretty standard ETA movement (2834-2 unless I am mistaken), so it should be wound clockwise. I have no idea whether the 2834 has a manual-wind mode though.

Winding the crown the wrong way shouldn't result in any damage, even if you hear weird clicky noises.