Hot water

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hot water

Hi guys,

I have not been back in HK for seven years and wonder if things in the bathroom and kitchen departments have improved.

1) Is there generally hot water from the tap and shower? Or do you still need to install special gas/electric hot water boxes?

2) Do people still boil water before they drink it?

3) Do towel driers (chrome tubes with hot water running inside) exist in HK and if so, are they considered luxury items?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wahansa:

1) Is there generally hot water from the tap and shower? Or do you still need to install special gas/electric hot water boxes?
    I have a question for you.. If I didn't install those special gas/electric heaters, who would heat the water for me?

Quote Originally Posted by kostas:
    I have a question for you.. If I didn't install those special gas/electric heaters, who would heat the water for me?

Some places have hot water heaters that heat all the water, rather than just that coming out of a specific tap.

Not entirely sure which is more energy efficient, a big water heater or individual "instant" heaters.

I think the difference is negligible. In the U.K. we use a single water heater with a tank to store the heated water in most homes. The tank is insulated to keep the heat in. You can then draw hot water from any tap when you like.
    In our new home here and other homes I have lived in we have a single heater too and can draw hot water from any tap. Older properties will only have hot water available in the bathroom and none in the kitchen. There is ofcourse no water tank.
    A lot of people here still drink boiled water. I do too as this is better than drinking too much distilled water. When I can I buy mineral water.
    Luxury homes will have the heated towel rails.

Would there really be a need for heated towel rails in HK?

I think it's a bit kinky myself.

i've found that quite a few flats have it set up so that the water heater from the bathroom heats the water in the kitchen- it just takes a while. (it does in our flat in DB, and has in all but one of my various flats over the past 10 years~i like to move a lot!)

i much prefer the small water heaters because i'm always guaranteed a hot shower, not like the ones that store the water, that water eventually runs out and then it has to heat a huge barrel of it again)

Quote Originally Posted by wahansa:

2) Do people still boil water before they drink it?
    instead of boiling water everytime, why not buy a water filter.

Actually a gaz heater is quite quick to heat up the water, practically instantaneous. The electric heaters on the other hand to take time to get up to speed.

In my case the w/r is gaz, the kitchen is electric.

If you don't like to boil the water you can install a filter, either $$ in line model, or just a screw in type onto the faucet if you are renting.

I love the towel heater in Canada, but haven't missed it since being in HK! I have seen them for sale in WanChai however, so there is a market for them. Is a towel drier the same thing?

i find draping the towel over the bath/ back of chair/ door etc and turning the air con off for five minutes does the trick...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast