buying phone w/no service

Closed Thread

buying phone w/no service

i want to buy a cell phone as a gift for someone who'll be using it out of hong kong. given i won't be buying a service plan, anyone know where's the best place price wise to buy a phone? need to buy by thursday so don't want to spin my wheels.

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

tex, try this...

http://www.citicall.com.hk/about_us.htm

They have various stores around Mong Kok and sell cellphones at competitive prices without any network committments.

thanks max for your lightning quick reply. that looks good but is there anything similar on hk side--have a newborn at home so can't get away for long! also, which mobiles with camera function are good for a grandma (i.e. not too complicated, reliable)?

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK
    Quote Originally Posted by tex:
    thanks max for your lightning quick reply. that looks good but is there anything similar on hk side--have a newborn at home so can't get away for long! also, which mobiles with camera function are good for a grandma (i.e. not too complicated, reliable)?
    BTW last location on that website is on HK Island.

i highly recommend you NOT TO buy from small stalls in mongkok or causeway bay or wherever.

i once bought a "new" nokia phone (back to the nokia 8210 era) from a small shop in wanchai (as i didnt need any subscription too) but then the phone didnt work well (no reception in some places, while the others are ok), it got so bad that i decided to trade-in and get another one.

when i tried to sell it, those people said the electronics inside was not original. they were changed. and they didn't accept it. voila...

Fortress or Broadway kinds of chain store are reliable, and suscription is not necessary.

=)

HK Fella, thanks.

opps, i hear you. think i will take safe, easy way and get from one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by opps:
    i highly recommend you NOT TO buy from small stalls in mongkok or causeway bay or wherever.

i once bought a "new" nokia phone (back to the nokia 8210 era) from a small shop in wanchai (as i didnt need any subscription too) but then the phone didnt work well (no reception in some places, while the others are ok), it got so bad that i decided to trade-in and get another one.

when i tried to sell it, those people said the electronics inside was not original. they were changed. and they didn't accept it. voila...

Fortress or Broadway kinds of chain store are reliable, and suscription is not necessary.

=)
    opps,

The Citicall chain of stores around mongkok are not the types of small stalls you describe. The problem you mentioned would have most likely occured in individual stores there. These stores need not necessarily be located in Mong Kok or Causeway Bay, but are found all over HK.

Fortress may sell you cellphones without contract obligations to any networks, but they have a marketing tie-up with '3 (previously Orange)' to sell cellphones and service connections, so their cellphone settings are probably pre-configured to run on the '3' network. No surprise considering the chain is owned and operated by Hutchison / Cheung Kong.
    Last edited by Max; 12-10-2005 at 10:41 AM.

For HK side I would head for the 7th floor of Times Square tower. You will find Fortress, Broadway (2 stores), Chung Yuen and Tai Lin. All sell mobiles. I've bought from the first two and in neither case were they locked. I am fairly certain this is the case for all of these retailers. Doesn't hurt to ask though. And you can check yourself with your own sim card and/or your friend's at the time of purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by **:
    Max,
    If i recall correctly, you are into electronics business.. Whats your insight on those mobile wholesalers in Chung King..
    Well, cellphones aren't exactly my forte , but here goes:

The cellphone wholesalers in ChungKing Mansions are for the most part legitimate businesses. The products they supply are imported from various (or questionable, some might say) sources. They have no means to 'alter/modify' the components of the phones themselves but may obtain the phones from various countries where the settings/accessories may be different. They don't provide any local warranties or local manuals/accessories/cables etc.. I have, on one occasion, purchased a mobile phone from one of these shops and it worked well for 2 years before i replaced it for a newer model.

Having said that, I'd advise any potential buyer looking to purchase their cellphones to do their research thoroughly and consider the risks involved when buying from such establishments.

To sum up: Caveat Emptor.
    Last edited by Max; 12-10-2005 at 11:13 AM.

I think you should check Fortress and Broadway out, they sometimes have some pretty good deals.

Fortress has a Website too - www.fortress.com.hk