Is HK REALLY that dangerous for motorbikes?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by hei811:
    hey dropdedfwed~!

been in HK long? where in Oz u from?

to add my 2 cents worth, yes, HK IS dnagerous~! I rode in Sydney & have been pillion a few times in HK & will be getting a motard soon, i hope (fingers crossed).

but then u're only as safe as your skills & abilities; you do have to be more aware of your surroundings here in HK so your defensive riding skills will come in handy & used often.

it would also make a diff if u would be riding everyday or just on the weekends...

best thing to do in your position is to go out & experience it 1st hand~! go meet a few riders, see if u can get a rear on their next ride, then decide for yourself~!
    thanks for ur input!

i'm currently back and forth b/w HK and melbourne. originally a sydneyite (sort of), soon to be permanently HK (for atleast a few years, anyway).

good idea re jumping on a ride, may do just that ... also do u know of any decent hire bike places in HK? might be another option to try out.

correct me if i am wrong, but NT seems a lot safer to ride in, yes?

thanks all for your thoughts.
    Last edited by dropdedfwed; 16-10-2005 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dropdedfwed:
    thanks for ur input!

i'm currently back and forth b/w HK and melbourne. originally a sydneyite (sort of), soon to be permanently HK (for atleast a few years, anyway).

good idea re jumping on a ride, may do just that ... also do u know of any decent hire bike places in HK? might be another option to try out.

correct me if i am wrong, but NT seems a lot safer to ride in, yes?

thanks all for your thoughts.
    no worries mate, just my 2 cents worth.

sorry to inform, but there are no real bike hire places here in HK so u might have to get chummy with the one of the bikers here on GeoExpat and buy them a few beers to score a ride...or try joining http://www.hksuperbike.com; there seems to be a few expats in that group so it would be easier for you to join & really be part of the group then the local 1s...i have yet to joing HK Superbike but should be soon...

NT seems safer, but then there seems to be crazy truckers there 24/7; not to mention the "fully sik" Fast & Furious crowd ...the safer option for riding could be picking the time of day rather then location & early morning seems to be the go - 5am to 7am; cabbies finishing their shifts & not many private cars nor people about, even in the middle of TST, there're only a few buses on the road at those hours.

let me know next time u in town & maybe we can meet up & chat bikes some more, yeah!?

btw, u more a Melb biker or Syd biker? different breeds, i think...been riding long?