Is HK REALLY that dangerous for motorbikes?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is HK REALLY that dangerous for motorbikes?

Hi All,

There has been previous discussions on this topic on this site, but I'm still not able to get a good grasp of the "reality" here...

OK, motorbikes on public roads are not as safe a form of transport as a motorcar, statistics show that. However, that being said, what are the realistic views of motorcycle safety in HK compared to other countries?

I am only really interested in views by those who actually ride in HK, or have done so, not from those who just think it is dangerous because it looks like it is, or because all the people at work were telling them it is unsafe etc. If you haven't ridden, you can't be impartial. take it from a once very "anti-bike" person, who is now a happy yet cautious bike enthusiast...

What about regional variation. my gut feel is NT isn't too bad for a lesuirely spin, but parts of HK island and areas around TST are a little... adrenaline inducing...

Any views from riders?

Thanks

I'm a pro-bike car driver, and going by what I see in the car, YES - biking in HK is dangerous.

One of the most appaling habits in HK is for drivers in the near-side (left hand) lane of a dual carriageway turning right at a roundabout.

A number of times I've been in the outside lane and going straight on, when some idiot has nearly driven into me when trying to turn right.

I think it's about as dangerous as walking in the streets of HK at night.

I have riden a bike(a Virago and a scooter) for 6 yrs in HK.(still alive)

I think you would first have to ask yourself if you are a skillful biker or not. Some people are born being good at controlling machinery.
    And if you are not the type and have to worry about how to ride on the road, forget it.

Secondly, if you are good at observing road conditions. ie. what's going to happen next? what's the truck behind going to do next?

The last thing is if you can control yourself not to drive dangerously.
    It is very tempting to speed and overtake other vehicles in a manner like they are just stationary objects when you are riding on something like a CBR or GSX which could be extremely dangerous.

I think I'm ok with the first two but I have a problem with the last one and which is why I stopped 6 yrs ago after I got married.
    But I am again thinking of buying a sportsbike something 750 or above in the near future which has always been my dream. They just look so coooooool! Hopefully I will be a more responsible rider as I've grown a bit. Most importantly my wife like them as well.
    One thing I can say for sure is it's certainly more dangerous than using the MTR!

(comparing safety to other countries)
    The only other country I have riden a bike is in Thailand so I don't suppose you need my answer for that.

just my 2 cents.

What are your plans, dropdedfwed? Which bikes do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by meemiathai:
    I have riden a bike(a Virago and a scooter) for 6 yrs in HK.(still alive)
    Which XV model? I used to have a 250cc ('91 model) for almost 10 years back in my country. Actually it was the US model, named Route66, which was identical to Virago except the handle bar (it was bended and not straight) and louder excaust pipes.

Good times plus a couple of accidents (including a broken kneecap)

Hi all,
    Biking in Hong Kong is FUN!!! like London or any other major city.
    You just need to be aware of the traffic around you.
    Just don't go nuts like i did dropdedfwed and buy the bike of your dreams. My biggest problem is if i don't use my cover when parking i get tyre kickers and dreamers sitting on it taking pictures. Parked in Sai Kung last week, came back to bike and there was a mother lifting her kid onto it Go buy your own Hayabusa i said through clenched teeth.
    Go on, buy a bike and get out there.

Gweilo

Quote Originally Posted by gweilo:
    My biggest problem is if i don't use my cover when parking i get tyre kickers and dreamers sitting on it taking pictures. Parked in Sai Kung last week, came back to bike and there was a mother lifting her kid onto it Go buy your own Hayabusa i said through clenched teeth.
    Go on, buy a bike and get out there.

Gweilo
    I don't want to get started about this problem But the most funny thing that happened to me was one time when I was still back in my country. A couple of tourists where taking pictures next to my bike and I was approx. 100m away but could see very well what they were doing. I joked to my friend and I said "I hope at least they will leave some money on the bike after they are done". And guess what? They really had left some banknotes on the sissy bar

Quote Originally Posted by meemiathai:
    I think it's about as dangerous as walking in the streets of HK at night.

I have riden a bike(a Virago and a scooter) for 6 yrs in HK.(still alive)....

What are your plans, dropdedfwed? Which bikes do you like?
    Is good to hear some positive replies from those "in the know".

Motorbikes aren't the safest things, and anyone who climbs on one knows that. I've had some frightening close calls, most due to others not seeing me, some due to crap on the road. Generally these things are avoidable if u ride with some sense - a bit hard when ur young, gets a bit easier with age (so i'm getting safer!) and experience, i guess. I'm told in HK ur defensive driving skills need to be a tad sharper than in Oz...

is really good to see some HK bikers not being doomsday people... thanks dudes.

re my bikes... only been on 250's and a vespa PX200 to date, and only in Oz. latest ride was a honda rebel (honda's answer to the virago) - gross, dont touch it.

dream bike in HK would be suzuki DL650 - 50kw baby. however, i'm not sure the pocket will let me grab one just yet... may have to stick with a CB400, they seem to be the ubiquitis wheels in HK... will do some pondering and probably make the investment early next year... especially now i feel a little better about HK roads.

thanks again for your input guys!

hey dropdedfwed~!

been in HK long? where in Oz u from?

to add my 2 cents worth, yes, HK IS dnagerous~! I rode in Sydney & have been pillion a few times in HK & will be getting a motard soon, i hope (fingers crossed).

but then u're only as safe as your skills & abilities; you do have to be more aware of your surroundings here in HK so your defensive riding skills will come in handy & used often.

it would also make a diff if u would be riding everyday or just on the weekends...

best thing to do in your position is to go out & experience it 1st hand~! go meet a few riders, see if u can get a rear on their next ride, then decide for yourself~!

p.s. wasn't there another thread about motorcycling & forming a Geoxpat rider's club!? or is that the HK Superbike club already?

if you can ride in nepal (like i did) then you can ride anywhere..

lost my way there but yeah, agree with hei811..

Last edited by angiebaby80; 12-10-2005 at 10:47 PM. Reason: agreeing with hei811

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast